Fwd: Master Course Lesson 201

  • Prakash Ram Otharam
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 31, 2006
      GURUDEVA <gurudeva-mastercourse@...> wrote:
      From: gurudeva-mastercourse@... (GURUDEVA)
      Subject: Master Course Lesson 201

      The Master Course of Himalayan Academy
      by Satguru Sivaya Subramuniyaswami

      ~~~~~~~~~

      Sloka 46 from Dancing with Siva

      Are Souls and World Essentially Good?

      The intrinsic and real nature of all beings is their soul, which is
      goodness. The world, too, is God's flawless creation. All is in perfect
      balance. There are changes, and they may appear evil, but there is no
      intrinsic evil. Aum.

      Bhashya

      The soul radiates love, is a child of God going through its evolutionary
      process of growing up into the image and likeness of the Lord. Goodness
      and mercy, compassion and caring are the intrinsic, inherent or indwelling
      nature of the soul. Wisdom and pure knowledge, happiness and joy are
      the intrinsic nature of the soul. Can we believe the soul is anything
      but goodness itself, purity and all the refined qualities found within
      superconsciousness? When God is everywhere, how can there be a place
      for evil? The soul is constantly one with God in its ever-present
      Satchidananda state at every point in its evolution. How, then, arises
      the concept of evil and suffering? Anava, karma and maya, the play toys
      of the soul, are the source of this seeming suffering. Like a child,
      we play with the toys of anava in the playground of maya, fall and are
      bruised by karma, then run to our loving Lord for solace and release
      into spiritual maturity. The Vedas pointedly state, "As the sun, the eye
      of the whole world, is not sullied by the external faults of the eyes,
      so the one inner soul of all things is not sullied by the sorrow in the
      world, being external to it." Aum Namah Sivaya.

      LESSON 201 from Living with Siva

      Advice for Abused Youth

      We want to talk to the next generation that's coming
      up. Fourteen-year-olds, eighteen-year-olds, twenty-year-olds, stand on
      your own two feet! Make your decisions according to dharma. What is the
      book of dharma? Weaver's Wisdom, the famous Tirukural. It gives you all
      the tools you need to live a very good life. If your parents are verbally
      abusing you, don't let their words affect you. Try to have compassion
      by appreciating what led them to the point where they could say these
      cruel things to you; but realize that they can offer you nothing but
      more abuse, because they are in the process of cursing themselves. The
      message is to "stand on your own two feet, take your life in your own
      hands, claim your independence," once you realize that life at home is
      not going to get any better.

      In certain shops in Asian cities, parents can buy bamboo switches, belts
      and other instruments of torture made just for punishing kids. Few
      realize that their mean words can cause just as much hurt, if not
      more. Parents have developed long lists of words used to demean and
      belittle. It has become an unspoken rulebook of how to bring their child
      down to feeling like he's a big nothing, willing to do anything you say,
      because he inwardly begs: "Don't hurt me anymore. Don't hit me with your
      words. Don't hurt me with your long silences and by turning your head
      away from me. Don't hurt me that way anymore. I'll do anything. I'll get
      a dumb job and work at it fourteen hours a day to give you some money,
      to pay you for not hurting me anymore." That's what we have in the Hindu
      community around the world. And that's what we don't want to have in
      the Hindu community around the world.

      What can a child of eight, ten or twelve do who is being verbally
      and physically beaten at home and in school? Nothing. It's a sad
      situation. I've received lists of abuses from children of that age,
      just exactly what their mothers have said and what their fathers have
      said. It's a tremendous pain in their mind. We've given young people the
      prayashchitta, the remedy, of putting a flower in front of their parents'
      picture for thirty-one days. Most can't do it. They just can't do it. We
      ask them to say each day, "I forgive you for playing my karma back to me,"
      but they just can't do it. The hate, the mistrust, the disappointment,
      the hurt, is so great, they've been put down so low, that they just
      cannot do it.

      My counsel to Hindu families is: Stop the physical abuse. Stop the verbal
      abuse. Stop the war in the home. Use positive discipline. Praise your
      children. Discover the good things that they do and tell them how well
      they have done. Celebrate their Divinity. Enjoy them and enjoy good times
      with them. This is the family tradition and the ideal of Sanatana Dharma,
      the Hindu Dharma of the past, before the Church of England reigned over
      India for 150 years and changed education to their way of thinking, making
      beating a must in schools and homes in accordance with the many biblical
      verses that highly recommend "not to spare the rod," and the theological
      rationale to "beat the devil out of them." Hindus of today's world have
      begun working together to stop the abuse, passing and enforcing laws
      to bring us back to the true meaning of discipline, which is to teach,
      train and patiently guide. We must remember that ahimsa, nonhurting,
      physically, mentally or emotionally, is the bedrock of Sanatana Dharma.

      My advice to verbally abusive parents: stop tearing them down by telling
      them they're stupid, that they're too small, too fat, too lazy, too ugly
      or too naughty. If you constantly tell a child he is naughty, he will
      become naughtier. If you constantly tell a child he's nice, he will be
      nicer. It just works like that. All the psychiatrists agree with this
      approach, to be sure, as do mothers and fathers who really love their
      children and take an interest in their children.

      Sutra 201 of the Nandinatha Sutras

      Moderation With Alcohol

      All strong and intoxicating distilled alcohols are forbidden to Siva's
      devotees. They may moderately partake of the family of wines and beers,
      including honey mead, for these are wholesome when properly enjoyed. Aum.

      LESSON 201 from Merging with Siva

      Subsuperconscious Breakthroughs

      A devotee who can command his mind to be instantly creative, and be
      consistently successful, has acquired a conscious control of the use of
      the subsuperconscious state of mind. This is because the subconscious
      mind--made of odic force, a sticky-like substance that absorbs
      impressions, holds impressions and files them (not always, however, in
      an organized way)--has been understood, dissolved and brought in line
      with the cosmic forces through living a religious life. In this pure
      condition, the devotee's attempts to direct his own mental forces are
      quite naturally successful. Unobstructed, the superconscious forces flow
      into the life of the devotee, and creativity is in abundance. Once the
      first breakthrough has been made, we find that these brilliant rays from
      the cosmic mind--which we also call Satchidananda, the mind of God Siva,
      the Gods and your immortal soul--penetrate the sticky-like substance
      of the subconscious, reorganizing and purifying it. The next time you
      feel physically, mentally or emotionally fatigued, use your willpower
      to command access to the cosmic energies that exist deep inside of
      you. Do not allow the body or mind to fall into lethargic, depressed
      states. Feel the life forces stirring, flowing out to invigorate every
      cell of your being.

      When you can see a white light aglow in your head in a darkened room,
      or even see a flash of it, or hear the inner, high-pitched sound,
      "eee," humming in your inner ear, then you know that you are consciously
      functioning in the subsuperconscious state of mind. Devotees who have
      had their first flash of white light in their head or heard the constant
      high-pitched "eee" in their inner ear have awakened the process of
      the subsuperconscious state of mind, and it works quite automatically
      after that. All they have to do is to learn how to consciously use their
      subsuperconscious transcendental powers. All this will naturally occur
      through their continued sadhana.

      The first breakthrough of the clear white light is
      subsuperconsciousness. The odic force fields of darkness which are seen
      within oneself are created by beliefs that conflict with the Sanatana
      Dharma, resentment and past conflicting karma. These are built up through
      the centuries of man's intermingling within his own species. This inner
      darkness or odic force has created man's subconscious mind, and conscious
      mind, the way he knows it today. Every devotee is inwardly desirous
      of breaking through the barriers of this inner darkness, realizing the
      discontent caused by the influx and outflow of connecting odic forces,
      not only between himself and family, friends and relations, but also in
      his association with the world at large.

      ~~~~~~~~~

      Wondering if there is more to the Master Course than just
      e-mail? Visit http://www.gurudeva.org/study/mc/ and learn two
      more ways to study. Also, if you do not receive your
      daily lesson by email due to server or internet connection
      problems it will usually still be available on the web at
      http://www.gurudeva.org/study/mc/todays_lesson.shtml.

      ~~~~~~~~~

      To unsubscribe send an empty message, with any subject header, to

      Then just "reply" to the confirmation request and you will be unsubscribed.

      ~~~~~~~~~

      And now that you have read the lesson of the day, go to see the news from
      the home of the Master Course at Kauai Aadheenam: http://www.gurudeva.org/taka

      Servant of the DIVINE,
      O. Prakash Ram
      My Group:

      ( Sincerely do not want to send these e-mails to anyone who does not want to receive them.  If you want to be removed from the mail list for any reason, please let me know by e-mail. Thank you and God Bless)

      What is the internet to you?
      Contribute to the Yahoo! Time Capsule and be a part of internet history.