Re: Half Loop Mag Mobile Antenna

  • va3ae
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 22, 2013
      If you have not seen this already it might provide food for thought.
      <http://www.laud.no/la6nca/loop/>

      73 de va3ae
    • Gian
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 24, 2013
        Thanks for your rely.

        Yes, I did visit that site. The only problem is to understand how the half a loop works, i.e. what happen to RF currents un the mirror part of the loop and on the car real roof.

        I will try to figure out the capacitor formula from the 14-30MHz example.

        Thanks and best 73

        Gian
        I7SWX

        --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, "va3ae" <va3ae@...> wrote:

        > If you have not seen this already it might provide food for thought.
        > <http://www.laud.no/la6nca/loop/>
        >
        > 73 de va3ae

      • Andy
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 24, 2013
          Gian <i7swx@...> wrote:

          > ... i.e. what happen to RF currents un the mirror part of the loop and on
          > the car real roof.

          For a half loop that connects to the roof on both ends, at the very
          least you have the loop current itself which completes its circuit via
          the roof. There would be some spreading out of the current in the
          roof, depending on frequency, I suppose.

          Many mobile loops are complete loops that happen to rest slightly
          above the roof. That's a good question what happens in the roof in
          that case. I bet it depends a lot on loop orientation. Most of these
          small mobile loops are vertically oriented, but I have seen horizontal
          loops above the roof too. It would seem like the roof causes a
          "shorted turn" that is close coupled to the loop, which is probably
          not good.

          Regards,
          Andy
        • Gian
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 26, 2013
            Hi Andy,

            --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, Andy <ai.egrps@...> wrote:

            > Gian <i7swx@...> wrote:
            >
            > > ... i.e. what happen to RF currents un the mirror part of the loop and on
            > > the car real roof.
            >
            > For a half loop that connects to the roof on both ends, at the very
            > least you have the loop current itself which completes its circuit via
            > the roof. There would be some spreading out of the current in the
            > roof, depending on frequency, I suppose.

            > Many mobile loops are complete loops that happen to rest slightly
            > above the roof. That's a good question what happens in the roof in
            > that case. I bet it depends a lot on loop orientation. Most of these
            > small mobile loops are vertically oriented, but I have seen horizontal
            > loops above the roof too. It would seem like the roof causes a
            > "shorted turn" that is close coupled to the loop, which is probably
            > not good.

            I have a two bars roof rack across it (add-on). Would it be necessary to connect the loop mirror side to it or isolate it as strong current may spread ???

            Best 73

            Gian