Re: [loopantennas] Re: Half Loop Mag Mobile Antenna

  • Andy
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 21, 2013
      Gian <i7swx@...> wrote:

      > THe NVIS request via mail, as suggested on the group did not work out, I got delivery error.

      Try again!  If you got a delivery error, it probably means it was sent to the wrong address.  The address for subscribing to the NVIS group should be:

        NVIS-subscribe (at) yahoogroups.com

      substituting the '@' symbol for the "(at)".  (I wrote it that way because Yahoo sometimes obscures email addresses within group messages.)

      Andy

    • va3ae
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 22, 2013
        If you have not seen this already it might provide food for thought.
        <http://www.laud.no/la6nca/loop/>

        73 de va3ae
      • Gian
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 24, 2013
          Thanks for your rely.

          Yes, I did visit that site. The only problem is to understand how the half a loop works, i.e. what happen to RF currents un the mirror part of the loop and on the car real roof.

          I will try to figure out the capacitor formula from the 14-30MHz example.

          Thanks and best 73

          Gian
          I7SWX

          --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, "va3ae" <va3ae@...> wrote:

          > If you have not seen this already it might provide food for thought.
          > <http://www.laud.no/la6nca/loop/>
          >
          > 73 de va3ae

        • Andy
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 24, 2013
            Gian <i7swx@...> wrote:

            > ... i.e. what happen to RF currents un the mirror part of the loop and on
            > the car real roof.

            For a half loop that connects to the roof on both ends, at the very
            least you have the loop current itself which completes its circuit via
            the roof. There would be some spreading out of the current in the
            roof, depending on frequency, I suppose.

            Many mobile loops are complete loops that happen to rest slightly
            above the roof. That's a good question what happens in the roof in
            that case. I bet it depends a lot on loop orientation. Most of these
            small mobile loops are vertically oriented, but I have seen horizontal
            loops above the roof too. It would seem like the roof causes a
            "shorted turn" that is close coupled to the loop, which is probably
            not good.

            Regards,
            Andy
          • Gian
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 26, 2013
              Hi Andy,

              --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, Andy <ai.egrps@...> wrote:

              > Gian <i7swx@...> wrote:
              >
              > > ... i.e. what happen to RF currents un the mirror part of the loop and on
              > > the car real roof.
              >
              > For a half loop that connects to the roof on both ends, at the very
              > least you have the loop current itself which completes its circuit via
              > the roof. There would be some spreading out of the current in the
              > roof, depending on frequency, I suppose.

              > Many mobile loops are complete loops that happen to rest slightly
              > above the roof. That's a good question what happens in the roof in
              > that case. I bet it depends a lot on loop orientation. Most of these
              > small mobile loops are vertically oriented, but I have seen horizontal
              > loops above the roof too. It would seem like the roof causes a
              > "shorted turn" that is close coupled to the loop, which is probably
              > not good.

              I have a two bars roof rack across it (add-on). Would it be necessary to connect the loop mirror side to it or isolate it as strong current may spread ???

              Best 73

              Gian