Re: Half Loop Mag Mobile Antenna

  • Gian
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 21, 2013
      Hi All,

      thanks for your feedbacks. THe NVIS request via mail, as suggested on the group did not work out, I got delivery error.

      Yes, I have seen groups witha few peopleand not active. There is one group with over 10000 members ...too many but I will try there.

      What I may try is to build an antenna with mechanical measures that will not be critiocal for cars roof and fiddle around it with a normal capacitor and use an antenna analyser, than, if the results are similar to a standard magloop I can go ahead. We can try with a qrp rtx if it work on tx too.

      Best 73

      Gian
      I7SWX

      --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, Andy <ai.egrps@...> wrote:

      > > Is the group the following?
      > >
      > > NVIS-NearVerticalIncidentSkywave@yahoogroups.com
      >
      > That is the "sign-up" group, not the real one. It will get you there
      > ... eventually ... if you follow all the steps.
      >
      > You can bypass that step by going directly to the NVIS group itself,
      > which is named simply "NVIS" instead of
      > "NVIS-NearVerticalIncidentSkywave".
      >
      > (The reason for the multi-step process is to try to keep spam-bots
      > from joining the "real" group.)
      >
      > Here are a few other (smaller, less active) NVIS-specific groups I know about:
      >
      > NWNVIS
      > HFNVIS
      > NVIS-Antennas
      > International_NVIS_Association
      >
      > These are all Yahoo!groups.
      >
      > Andy

    • Andy
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 21, 2013
        Gian <i7swx@...> wrote:

        > THe NVIS request via mail, as suggested on the group did not work out, I got delivery error.

        Try again!  If you got a delivery error, it probably means it was sent to the wrong address.  The address for subscribing to the NVIS group should be:

          NVIS-subscribe (at) yahoogroups.com

        substituting the '@' symbol for the "(at)".  (I wrote it that way because Yahoo sometimes obscures email addresses within group messages.)

        Andy

      • va3ae
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 22, 2013
          If you have not seen this already it might provide food for thought.
          <http://www.laud.no/la6nca/loop/>

          73 de va3ae
        • Gian
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 24, 2013
            Thanks for your rely.

            Yes, I did visit that site. The only problem is to understand how the half a loop works, i.e. what happen to RF currents un the mirror part of the loop and on the car real roof.

            I will try to figure out the capacitor formula from the 14-30MHz example.

            Thanks and best 73

            Gian
            I7SWX

            --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, "va3ae" <va3ae@...> wrote:

            > If you have not seen this already it might provide food for thought.
            > <http://www.laud.no/la6nca/loop/>
            >
            > 73 de va3ae

          • Andy
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 24, 2013
              Gian <i7swx@...> wrote:

              > ... i.e. what happen to RF currents un the mirror part of the loop and on
              > the car real roof.

              For a half loop that connects to the roof on both ends, at the very
              least you have the loop current itself which completes its circuit via
              the roof. There would be some spreading out of the current in the
              roof, depending on frequency, I suppose.

              Many mobile loops are complete loops that happen to rest slightly
              above the roof. That's a good question what happens in the roof in
              that case. I bet it depends a lot on loop orientation. Most of these
              small mobile loops are vertically oriented, but I have seen horizontal
              loops above the roof too. It would seem like the roof causes a
              "shorted turn" that is close coupled to the loop, which is probably
              not good.

              Regards,
              Andy
            • Gian
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 26, 2013
                Hi Andy,

                --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, Andy <ai.egrps@...> wrote:

                > Gian <i7swx@...> wrote:
                >
                > > ... i.e. what happen to RF currents un the mirror part of the loop and on
                > > the car real roof.
                >
                > For a half loop that connects to the roof on both ends, at the very
                > least you have the loop current itself which completes its circuit via
                > the roof. There would be some spreading out of the current in the
                > roof, depending on frequency, I suppose.

                > Many mobile loops are complete loops that happen to rest slightly
                > above the roof. That's a good question what happens in the roof in
                > that case. I bet it depends a lot on loop orientation. Most of these
                > small mobile loops are vertically oriented, but I have seen horizontal
                > loops above the roof too. It would seem like the roof causes a
                > "shorted turn" that is close coupled to the loop, which is probably
                > not good.

                I have a two bars roof rack across it (add-on). Would it be necessary to connect the loop mirror side to it or isolate it as strong current may spread ???

                Best 73

                Gian