Re: [loopantennas] Half Loop Mag Mobile Antenna

  • Andy
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 17, 2013
      Gian <i7swx@...> wrote:

      > I am looking for a project/guidelines to homebrew a mobile half a loop HF
      > antenna for emergency communications, to be mounted over a car roof.

      There are some antennas like that mentioned occasionally on the [NVIS]
      Yahoo!group.

      Because they are electrically small on the lower HF bands, and close
      to the ground, they tend to be rather inefficient. But if you need to
      operate mobile on those bands, it is an option to consider.

      The commercial versions tend to be very expensive. Perhaps more than
      a top-of-the-line radio would cost.

      There are occasional links to pictures of homemade versions, usually
      without much detail. Radiation resistance tends to be low, so good
      bonding to the roof/vehicle is crucial. Don't think of it as mounting
      an antenna on your car; think of it as modifying your car to
      accommodate the new addition.

      Andy
    • Rick Karlquist
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 17, 2013
        Andy wrote:
        > Gian <i7swx@...> wrote:
        >
        >> I am looking for a project/guidelines to homebrew a mobile half a loop
        >> HF
        >> antenna for emergency communications, to be mounted over a car roof.

        A loong time ago, QST had an article titled "The Connecticut Long Horn
        Antenna". Maybe that is what you a looking for.

        Whatever loop you build, you need to decide whether you want horizontal
        or vertical polarization, which is determined by where you feed it.

        Rick N6RK
      • ww0e@...
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 17, 2013
          Is this it -  http://www.w1npp.org/events/2010/2010-F~1/ANTENNAS/MOBILE/670801~1.PDF

          Jerry  WW0E

          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 17, 2013
            ww0e@... wrote:
            > Is this it -
            > http://www.w1npp.org/events/2010/2010-F~1/ANTENNAS/MOBILE/670801~1.PDF
            >

            > Jerry WW0E

            Yes, but it's not a loop. Sorry, my memory was faulty.

            Rick N6RK
          • Gian
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 18, 2013
              Hi All,

              thanks for your replies.

              I am looking for a half mag loop to be installed over a car roofrack. Yes, I understand the car will become modified.

              Certainly these kind of antennas have not the best performance but maybe not wortse than a very short mobile antenna positioned at 45° over the car roof or like the one in the QST article.

              My basic questions are:

              1) How is the capacitor value calculated and the minimum required voltage

              2) what should be the minimum width of the half mirror side

              3) what it will happen to the rf current over the car roof?

              I have found several NVIS groups in yahoo. I enrolled in one nott too large, but the majorities have a very few members.

              Best 73

              Gian
              I7SWX

              --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, Andy <ai.egrps@...> wrote:

              > Gian <i7swx@...> wrote:
              >
              > > I am looking for a project/guidelines to homebrew a mobile half a loop HF
              > > antenna for emergency communications, to be mounted over a car roof.
              >
              > There are some antennas like that mentioned occasionally on the [NVIS]
              > Yahoo!group.
              >
              > Because they are electrically small on the lower HF bands, and close
              > to the ground, they tend to be rather inefficient. But if you need to
              > operate mobile on those bands, it is an option to consider.
              >
              > The commercial versions tend to be very expensive. Perhaps more than
              > a top-of-the-line radio would cost.
              >
              > There are occasional links to pictures of homemade versions, usually
              > without much detail. Radiation resistance tends to be low, so good
              > bonding to the roof/vehicle is crucial. Don't think of it as mounting
              > an antenna on your car; think of it as modifying your car to
              > accommodate the new addition.
              >
              > Andy

            • Andy
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 18, 2013
                Gian <i7swx@...> wrote:

                > I have found several NVIS groups in yahoo. I enrolled in one nott
                > too large, but the majorities have a very few members.

                The main NVIS group is simply "NVIS". It has well over 1000 members.
                It is not listed in the Yahoogroups directory (a signup group is
                listed instead, making it a 2-step process), but you can go directly
                to the group. Just substitute the word "NVIS" in the URL for any
                other Yahoogroup's name.

                Andy
              • Craig Palmer KF5JYZ
                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 18, 2013
                  just use yahoo’s own search engine. go to your groups page where all your yahoo groups are listed and above them you’ll find a search box. pick a group that has lots of folks and they are active ,unless all you want is to look into there files n links.

                  Craig

                  > I have found several NVIS groups in yahoo. I enrolled in one
                  nott
                  > too large, but the majorities have a very few members.

                  The main NVIS group is simply "NVIS". It has well over 1000 members.
                  It is not listed in the Yahoogroups directory (a signup group is
                  listed instead, making it a 2-step process), but you can go directly
                  to the group. Just substitute the word "NVIS" in the URL for any
                  other Yahoogroup's name.

                  Andy

                  No virus found in this message.

                • Gian
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 19, 2013
                    Hi Andy,

                    thanks for your additional info.

                    Is the group the following?

                    NVIS-NearVerticalIncidentSkywave@yahoogroups.com

                    I have sent the mail requesting membership.

                    73

                    Gian
                    I7SWX

                    --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, Andy <ai.egrps@...> wrote:

                    > Gian <i7swx@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > I have found several NVIS groups in yahoo. I enrolled in one nott
                    > > too large, but the majorities have a very few members.
                    >
                    > The main NVIS group is simply "NVIS". It has well over 1000 members.
                    > It is not listed in the Yahoogroups directory (a signup group is
                    > listed instead, making it a 2-step process), but you can go directly
                    > to the group. Just substitute the word "NVIS" in the URL for any
                    > other Yahoogroup's name.
                    >
                    > Andy

                  • Andy
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jun 19, 2013
                      > Is the group the following?
                      >
                      > NVIS-NearVerticalIncidentSkywave@yahoogroups.com

                      That is the "sign-up" group, not the real one. It will get you there
                      ... eventually ... if you follow all the steps.

                      You can bypass that step by going directly to the NVIS group itself,
                      which is named simply "NVIS" instead of
                      "NVIS-NearVerticalIncidentSkywave".

                      (The reason for the multi-step process is to try to keep spam-bots
                      from joining the "real" group.)

                      Here are a few other (smaller, less active) NVIS-specific groups I know about:

                      NWNVIS
                      HFNVIS
                      NVIS-Antennas
                      International_NVIS_Association

                      These are all Yahoo!groups.

                      Andy
                    • Andy
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jun 19, 2013
                        A number of years ago, somewhere on the "NVIS" yahoogroup ... either
                        on the group's site itself or in links to other sites ... there were
                        pictures of a couple of vehicles with half-loop antennas welded on.
                        Patricia Gibbons, one of the group's founders, who passed away a few
                        years ago, had pictures of hers. IIRC she used an SGC antenna tuner
                        at the feedpoint.

                        I don't recall seeing much in the way of theory or math.

                        Andy
                      • Gian
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jun 21, 2013
                          Hi All,

                          thanks for your feedbacks. THe NVIS request via mail, as suggested on the group did not work out, I got delivery error.

                          Yes, I have seen groups witha few peopleand not active. There is one group with over 10000 members ...too many but I will try there.

                          What I may try is to build an antenna with mechanical measures that will not be critiocal for cars roof and fiddle around it with a normal capacitor and use an antenna analyser, than, if the results are similar to a standard magloop I can go ahead. We can try with a qrp rtx if it work on tx too.

                          Best 73

                          Gian
                          I7SWX

                          --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, Andy <ai.egrps@...> wrote:

                          > > Is the group the following?
                          > >
                          > > NVIS-NearVerticalIncidentSkywave@yahoogroups.com
                          >
                          > That is the "sign-up" group, not the real one. It will get you there
                          > ... eventually ... if you follow all the steps.
                          >
                          > You can bypass that step by going directly to the NVIS group itself,
                          > which is named simply "NVIS" instead of
                          > "NVIS-NearVerticalIncidentSkywave".
                          >
                          > (The reason for the multi-step process is to try to keep spam-bots
                          > from joining the "real" group.)
                          >
                          > Here are a few other (smaller, less active) NVIS-specific groups I know about:
                          >
                          > NWNVIS
                          > HFNVIS
                          > NVIS-Antennas
                          > International_NVIS_Association
                          >
                          > These are all Yahoo!groups.
                          >
                          > Andy

                        • Andy
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jun 21, 2013
                            Gian <i7swx@...> wrote:

                            > THe NVIS request via mail, as suggested on the group did not work out, I got delivery error.

                            Try again!  If you got a delivery error, it probably means it was sent to the wrong address.  The address for subscribing to the NVIS group should be:

                              NVIS-subscribe (at) yahoogroups.com

                            substituting the '@' symbol for the "(at)".  (I wrote it that way because Yahoo sometimes obscures email addresses within group messages.)

                            Andy

                          • va3ae
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jun 22, 2013
                              If you have not seen this already it might provide food for thought.
                              <http://www.laud.no/la6nca/loop/>

                              73 de va3ae
                            • Gian
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jun 24, 2013
                                Thanks for your rely.

                                Yes, I did visit that site. The only problem is to understand how the half a loop works, i.e. what happen to RF currents un the mirror part of the loop and on the car real roof.

                                I will try to figure out the capacitor formula from the 14-30MHz example.

                                Thanks and best 73

                                Gian
                                I7SWX

                                --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, "va3ae" <va3ae@...> wrote:

                                > If you have not seen this already it might provide food for thought.
                                > <http://www.laud.no/la6nca/loop/>
                                >
                                > 73 de va3ae

                              • Andy
                                Message 15 of 17 , Jun 24, 2013
                                  Gian <i7swx@...> wrote:

                                  > ... i.e. what happen to RF currents un the mirror part of the loop and on
                                  > the car real roof.

                                  For a half loop that connects to the roof on both ends, at the very
                                  least you have the loop current itself which completes its circuit via
                                  the roof. There would be some spreading out of the current in the
                                  roof, depending on frequency, I suppose.

                                  Many mobile loops are complete loops that happen to rest slightly
                                  above the roof. That's a good question what happens in the roof in
                                  that case. I bet it depends a lot on loop orientation. Most of these
                                  small mobile loops are vertically oriented, but I have seen horizontal
                                  loops above the roof too. It would seem like the roof causes a
                                  "shorted turn" that is close coupled to the loop, which is probably
                                  not good.

                                  Regards,
                                  Andy
                                • Gian
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jun 26, 2013
                                    Hi Andy,

                                    --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, Andy <ai.egrps@...> wrote:

                                    > Gian <i7swx@...> wrote:
                                    >
                                    > > ... i.e. what happen to RF currents un the mirror part of the loop and on
                                    > > the car real roof.
                                    >
                                    > For a half loop that connects to the roof on both ends, at the very
                                    > least you have the loop current itself which completes its circuit via
                                    > the roof. There would be some spreading out of the current in the
                                    > roof, depending on frequency, I suppose.

                                    > Many mobile loops are complete loops that happen to rest slightly
                                    > above the roof. That's a good question what happens in the roof in
                                    > that case. I bet it depends a lot on loop orientation. Most of these
                                    > small mobile loops are vertically oriented, but I have seen horizontal
                                    > loops above the roof too. It would seem like the roof causes a
                                    > "shorted turn" that is close coupled to the loop, which is probably
                                    > not good.

                                    I have a two bars roof rack across it (add-on). Would it be necessary to connect the loop mirror side to it or isolate it as strong current may spread ???

                                    Best 73

                                    Gian