The Kaito KA-35 Active Antenna people need to know about.

  • richnlewis
    Message 1 of 2 , May 24, 2013
      The Kaito KA-35 Active antenna is good for some DXing. I use a KA-1103 for some SW DXing and to improve local AM station reception occasionally. According to GCC Engineering on medium wave and Long wave the antenna is a untuned Antenna and can be modified to replace the untuned amplifier with a loop for AM and LW This is what I am looking for is to improve LW reception. On Shortwave the KA-35 with the whip is no better than using the whip antenna in my Kaito KA-1103. This has been discussed in a file on the longwaveradiostationlistening forum on Yahoo Groups under files - LW Antenna Projects and Experiments There you will find a file called GCC Engineering-KA-35 Antenna Tips.zip. These will give you some ideas on what you can do for MW and LW. I do have some ideas for what I want to do.
    • Adam E
      Message 2 of 2 , May 24, 2013
        Since I came up with this first and posted it on the long wave group, we need to work on it together. First, for this to work. The KA-35 antenna is a untuned broadband antenna amplifier, you can make alot of these using a J-FET or 2N3904 transistor.

        The antenna that uses to tune the antenna is the Radio Shack Amplified Antenna with 2 modifications and that is changing the coils in a unused amplified antenna such as changing the 0.68 uH coils to 2.5 mH for L1 and 470 uH for L2 or 150 uH.

        I added a 3 way switch and connected the inductors (2.5 mH - 470 uH - 150 uH) in series with the switching circuit. The KA-35 is a broadband active antenna and you can add in series a MFJ-956 or this experiment. The 20-280 can go as as low as 30 kHz, but the J-FET might need to be changed to expand even lower.

        2.5 mH - 130 kHz to 320 kHz
        470 uH - 320 kHz to 600 kHz
        150 uH - 600 kHz to 1.8 MHz

        Adam E.