RE: [loopantennas] magnetic loops

  • Dominique Kremp
    Message 1 of 6 , May 22, 2013
      Hi Bob,

      I could compare both antennas side by side, trust me, the better one is the
      ALA1530.
      Here is a link to a review of both of them. Very comprehensive and
      interesting. I confirm Guy Atkin's conclusions.
      http://tinyurl.com/ogo25st
      Like most Pixel users in Europe I sold on my RF-Pro-1B after one month use.
      Furthermore WELLBROOK's boss Andy IKIN is very customers-friendly and
      provides help and advices at any time !
      Hope it helps

      Dominique
      Normandy, France

      PS: I don't have any connection to WELLBROOK !

      Message 2 of 6 , May 22, 2013
        You can find a comparison here:

        http://www.wellbrook.uk.com/reviews/ALA1530-vs-RFPRO-1AReview.pdf

        As far I know the Pixel Pro-1B is nu much different from the Pro-1A.

        Cor Beijersbergen

        Anyone have one of these ? How well does it perform ? One better than the
        other ?

        Pixel Technologies RF PRO-1B
        Wellbrooke Communications ALA 1530

        Bob
        K6UJ
      • John
        Message 3 of 6 , May 22, 2013
          I've used a Pixel Tech PRO-1a for several years. It's mounted on a 5 ft mast section attached to my deck, placing the loop's center ~7.5 ft above the ground. I have the loop parallel to the house where it minimizes the powerline noise. That was to be a temporary mounting, but it works so well there, I left it. It is mechanically stout, having weathered a near-miss by the F3-F4 tornado of 1/27/12. My neighbors weren't so lucky. It did clean off the deck, however. I wish it had a 12V input for the power inserter - I could have listened during the power outages. They have one available now. I've had 145ft lw, TTFD, A-D Sloper, etc - the trees supporting the house end of the antennas had to be downed - too much storm damage. The PRO-1a is more quiet than even the TTFD - with similar signal levels from 2-18 MHz - the directional nature of the small loop makes a rotator helpful at MW and below. Great product - modular construction is a plus - as is the fact it was made in the USA. Check eHAM.com reviews for more ratings.

          John

          --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, "dx11" <dx11@...> wrote:

          > You can find a comparison here:
          >
          > http://www.wellbrook.uk.com/reviews/ALA1530-vs-RFPRO-1AReview.pdf
          >
          > As far I know the Pixel Pro-1B is nu much different from the Pro-1A.
          >
          > Cor Beijersbergen
          >

          > Anyone have one of these ? How well does it perform ? One better than the
          > other ?
          >
          > Pixel Technologies RF PRO-1B
          > Wellbrooke Communications ALA 1530
          >
          > Bob
          > K6UJ

        • Jack Smith
          Message 4 of 6 , May 22, 2013
            Pixel's power coupler requires more than 12V because the loop amplifier module has an on-board 13.6V regulator. Given the typical voltage regulator overhead, IR loss in inductors in the loop amp and the coupler, plus IR loss in the coax cable, you need about 18V minimum into the coax cable at the DC coupler end.

            Feeding the loop amplifier with higher voltage and employing a voltage regulator at the amplifier end is a design decision to provide the same high level of performance over a range of voltage and temperature.

            It is possible to feed the DC coupler with battery power, but since the DC coupler has a bridge rectifier and its own voltage regulator, plus IR drop in chokes, you would need a minimum of 24V DC into the coupler. (This is based on a quick mental calculation; I have not measured the required voltage nor added a safety factor for component tolerance.) A pair of 12V gel-cells in series should be OK, but I have not tested that configuration.

            Jack
            www.cliftonlaboratories.com

            On 5/22/2013 7:08 AM, John wrote:

            I've used a Pixel Tech PRO-1a for several years. It's mounted on a 5 ft mast section attached to my deck, placing the loop's center ~7.5 ft above the ground. I have the loop parallel to the house where it minimizes the powerline noise. That was to be a temporary mounting, but it works so well there, I left it. It is mechanically stout, having weathered a near-miss by the F3-F4 tornado of 1/27/12. My neighbors weren't so lucky. It did clean off the deck, however. I wish it had a 12V input for the power inserter - I could have listened during the power outages. They have one available now. I've had 145ft lw, TTFD, A-D Sloper, etc - the trees supporting the house end of the antennas had to be downed - too much storm damage. The PRO-1a is more quiet than even the TTFD - with similar signal levels from 2-18 MHz - the directional nature of the small loop makes a rotator helpful at MW and below. Great product - modular construction is a plus - as is the fact it was made in the USA. Check eHAM.com reviews for more ratings.

            John

            --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, "dx11" <dx11@...> wrote:

            > You can find a comparison here:
            >
            > http://www.wellbrook.uk.com/reviews/ALA1530-vs-RFPRO-1AReview.pdf
            >
            > As far I know the Pixel Pro-1B is nu much different from the Pro-1A.
            >
            > Cor Beijersbergen
            >

            > Anyone have one of these ? How well does it perform ? One better than the
            > other ?
            >
            > Pixel Technologies RF PRO-1B
            > Wellbrooke Communications ALA 1530
            >
            > Bob
            > K6UJ

          • John
            Message 5 of 6 , May 22, 2013
              In an e-mail from Doug Talley 3/2/12 of Pixel Technologies answering my query re a 12V power inserter, he replied, "We also have a different power inserter that will allow you to use 12V.". Perhaps the 13.6V regulator simply passes the current with little voltage drop across it's series pass regulator and combined IR losses. At any rate, I'll patch up a simple inserter and try it.

              John