Impedance matching

  • Brian Burns
    Message 1 of 3 , May 19, 2013

      Hello All,

      Boy, the more I learn the less I know when it comes to transmitters/antenna tuners/transmission lines/ and antennas.

      Here is a link to Cecil’s—W5DXP—site, and his explanation of the function of antenna tuner in an antenna system:

      http://www.w5dxp.com/OWT1.htm

      He is the guy with the switched in lengths of 450 ohm line as matching stubs, using knife switches, BTW. He really seems to know whereof he speaks, being a life-long EE and all, and antennas are his specialty.

      I’ve read through the link above, and Cecil seems to be saying that the antenna and transmission line form a system, and the antenna tuner matches the whole system, transmission line and antenna both.

      I think that Andy makes a good point that the closer that your transmission line matches your antenna, the less work the antenna tuner has to do, and perhaps its insertion loss is lower.

      The search for the Truly all band antenna goes on!

      Cheers,

      Brian

      Intelligence is common--wisdom is rare.  Thomas Sowell is a wise man:

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KHdhrNhh88&NR=1

    • Steve
      Message 2 of 3 , May 19, 2013
        Brian,

        Some further information on what a tuner does, here:
        http://www.karinya.net/g3txq/tuner_match/

        73,
        Steve G3TXQ

        Message 3 of 3 , May 19, 2013

          Hello Steve,

          Thanks for the link! There is lots of good stuff on that site, in addition to the info on how tuners work.