Using CAT5

  • john
    Message 1 of 1 , May 17, 2013
      Hi all. For those interested in the use of CAT5 cable, have a look at
      this site. http://www.lz1aq.signacor.com/

      I have one of LZ1AQ'S loops here and it is now my most used recieving
      antenna. Highly recommended.

      It is fed using 30m of CAT 5 with no problems. For outdoor use, CAT5 /
      6 is available in forms suitable for this use - uses a rugged black
      external jacket rather than the flimsy blue stuff used for internal
      cable. The only issues may be sourcing it - try a wholesaler though
      buying a short length is probably hard to do as they usually sell by the
      drum. Another possible source is a data / comms installer who may be
      more likely to sell a short length especially if he has some scrap
      lengths tucked away. Otherwise just possibly spray paint the blue stuff
      some unobtrusive colour and accept that replacement will be needed every
      so often. Goodness knows, it is cheap enough!

      Re using zip cord and the like: it is my choice on DXpeditions rather
      than hauling along bulky coax. For recieving purposes it works just fine
      with suitable baluns / matching transformers. Yes, we can get all
      academic and purist but it suffices well for my particular purposes.

      Cheers, John