Re: correct position of coupling loop

  • qrp.gaijin
    Message 1 of 11 , May 3 1:40 AM
      --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, "qrpbear" <qrpbear@...> wrote:

      > There is another way to couple into a loop antenna which is done at the tuning capacitor. It's known as the "army loop method tuner" since it was originally designed for use by the US Army. You can see it here...
      >
      > http://homepage.ntlworld.com/g4kki.william/army_loop_tuner.htm
      >
      > Might be worth a try.

      This is one of those ideas I keep meaning to try. But then I keep thinking about the massive electrical field around the capacitor, and I just can't bring myself to place the loop controls, cables, and mounting structure near the capacitor where they risk upsetting the loop balance.

      Here is a posting describing one user's problems with common mode currents when using the MFJ loop tuner, which is essentially the same as the army loop tuner linked above.

      http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php?topic=87076.0

      Note how WB6BYU states "such circuits are inherently unbalanced." So you can probably get the army loop tuner to work, but you may have to deal with common mode currents.
    • JK De Marco
      Message 2 of 11 , May 4 7:29 PM
        Thanks for the info about 4NEC2, I was able to run the file saved according to your directions.

        A very informative page on voltages and current, electric and magnetic fields near a small loop can be read here:

        http://www.w8ji.com/magnetic_receiving_loops.htm

        regards,

        JK

      • ceo@andygardner.com