Re: [loopantennas] AM Antenna for Seagen WR-2

  • John Popelish
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 28, 2013
      On 04/28/2013 11:10 PM, tigers424257 wrote:
      > I bought this radio about 2 months ago and enjoy
      > listening to AM stations at night. I built the 1 foot
      > square loop using 4 wire telephone cable but does make
      > much difference in the reception. Any ideas on an antenna
      > for indoor use in alimited area.

      Is this a Sangean WR-2, with a coax antenna connector?

      If so, there is probably a large impedance mismatch between
      it and your (I assume) 4 turn, 1 foot loop.

      Have you tried to tune the loop with a variable capacitor
      (or some different fixed capacitor values)?

      I think I would try connecting a tuning capacitor across the
      4 turns, and connect the shell of the coax to the "ground"
      (case ) terminal of that capacitor, and one turn from that
      node, to the pin of the coax connector.

      John Popelish
    • jpopelish
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 29, 2013
        --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, John Popelish <jpopelish@...> wrote:

        > Is this a Sangean WR-2, with a coax antenna connector?
        >
        > If so, there is probably a large impedance mismatch between
        > it and your (I assume) 4 turn, 1 foot loop.
        >
        > Have you tried to tune the loop with a variable capacitor
        > (or some different fixed capacitor values)?
        >
        > I think I would try connecting a tuning capacitor across the
        > 4 turns, and connect the shell of the coax to the "ground"
        > (case ) terminal of that capacitor, and one turn from that
        > node, to the pin of the coax connector.

        Sorry, I looked at a photo that had only a coax (type F) antenna connector, but that is only for FM antennas. The one with optional AM antenna input has screw terminals.

        But my idea for connecting across one turn of a multi-turn, tuned loop holds, but you connect that turn to the two screw terminals.

        John Popelish