Great site for basic loop information.

  • Judi Black_Lake
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 21, 2013
      Great site for basic loop information..

      Scroll to the bottom to see more web sites.

    • William Young
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 23, 2013
        Thanks for the link to a good loop antenna article.  I have been using the rectangular and square loop calculators at http://emclab.mst.edu/inductance/index.html  for years.  Very helpful.  I wish I had room to make full use of the rotation and tilt features of the 3 or 4 foot box loop.  Sharp, deep nulls would be useful.  I have just completed a 42 inch by 58 inch rectangular loop with a five turn litz wire tuned winding and a one turn AWG #20 solid wire winding driving my ten Tec RX320D receiver.  I have not found it worthwhile to leave space between turns, but the space between the windings is important.  A relatively small distributed capacitance is not a problem for me, but I do like to maximize winding Q so I use "slot" windings, that is a winding with the wire pushed into a slot at each of the 4 cross arm ends.  Keep in mind also that with litz wire you have to avoid sharp bends - I keep the bend radius for 100/44 litz at or above 1/4 inch.  With a five turn slot winding and a one turn turn driver winding I can use LTSPICE IV to model the antenna performance.  The model requires values for the coupling coefficient k which can be calculated using equations from F. E. Terman's Radio Engineers' Handbook, 1943.  And this is much easier if each winding lies in one plane or nearly so. I have not been able to find anything more recent to relate k to winding separation.  I find there is a functional relationship between k and antenna Q, so I maximize Q(hopefully improving the signal+noise/noise ratio thereby).
        My new 42 inch X 58 inch loop is located between a wooden bookcase and a wall(there is, I think house wiring inside that wall).  My long range goal is to use this loop and my Ten Tec Rx320D to begin exploring WSPR-15 in the new 472 khz - 479 kHz amateur band.  I live and operate in a noisy environment, but a good, high Q loop antenna will help.  Thanks again for the article.  Bill Young  WD5HOH

        To: loopantennas@yahoogroups.com
        From: judi_blv@...
        Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2013 19:28:26 -0700
        Subject: [loopantennas] Great site for basic loop information.