Re: [loopantennas] Re: Newbie question: pick-off loop design

  • Jerry Flanders
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 6, 2013
      FYI, Cat-5 cable also makes a good cheap transmission line. Either
      pair of the 4 pairs there is about 200 ohms balanced, two pairs
      paralleled is 100, all 4 pairs paralleled is about 50. Observe
      polarity at both ends.

      I use it to carry component HDTV sigs around my house.

      Good to above 100 MHz, IIRC.

      Jerry W4UK

      At 10:57 AM 4/6/2013, you wrote:
      ><Also, I've connected the "sense loop" aka "pickup loop" to the
      >radio with coax,300 ohm twinlead, and simple twisted pair of 22 ga
      >hookup wire. I can't tell the difference with any of these three>
      >
      >That's because your receiver is much less sensitive to mismatched
      >impedance than a transmitter.

    • tenorman1952
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 7, 2013
        --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, "dldorrance" <dldorrance@...> wrote:

        > <Also, I've connected the "sense loop" aka "pickup loop" to the radio with coax,300 ohm twinlead, and simple twisted pair of 22 ga hookup wire. I can't tell the difference with any of these three>
        >
        > That's because your receiver is much less sensitive to mismatched impedance than a transmitter.

        What does a transmitter have to do with it? It is a receiving loop.

        The impedance mismatch has no discernable effect. All three methods work well.

        Paul - AE5JU