Re: New Litz Loop Antenna

  • vbifyz
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 4, 2013
      Unless you are far from civilization, the performance of your receiving system is much more likely to be affected by the man-made interference levels than by your antenna efficiency. We are in a very different world compared to 1943.
      In case there is one prevailing interference source, the antenna can help. But the parameter to look at is the null depth, and the antenna has to be rotated to minimize the noise .

      73, Mike

      --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, "WilliamY" <lpwjy@...> wrote:

      > The new antenna should have an 11 dB improvement in signal output and a calculated overall Q of 111. My present antenna described above has a calculated Q of 17.
      >
      > Are these numbers likely to result in an audible improvement in antenna performance? Bill Young WD5HOH

    • William Young
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 4, 2013
        Mike, No I live in a noisy suburban environment, and nulls don't help much here.  I have a small 360 degrees rotatable loop for AM broadcast.  The nulls are broad or non existent.  Any loop I use here is surrounded by wiring in the walls and conducting objects including myself.  My primary interest now is the new 472 kHz - 479 kHz amateur band, and I find that the CW setting on my RX320D makes enough signals audible to keep listening interesting.  As for my use of an equation from a 1943 handbook I have noticed in this group some interest in optimizing the spacing between a tuned winding and the winding driving the receiver.  I have just found a way to do that without "cut and try" that's all. I have yet to try one of the new ferrite core rotateable small loops.  And they tilt for optimum azimuth also.That may be a whole new ball game.   Bill Young WD5HOH

        To: loopantennas@yahoogroups.com
        From: 3ym3ym@...
        Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2013 14:51:32 +0000
        Subject: [loopantennas] Re: New Litz Loop Antenna