Re: [loopantennas] Plastics usage (was New file uploaded to loopantennas)

  • John Popelish
    Message 1 of 123 , Feb 24, 2013
      On 02/24/2013 05:30 PM, ceo@... wrote:

      > You want to steer clear of PET ABS and PVC...
      >
      > Table of loss tangents:
      > Polystyrene 0.0001 (recycle #6)
      > LDPE 0.00012 (recycle #4)
      > HDPE 0.0002 (recycle #2)
      > PTFE (Teflon) 0.00025
      > Polypropylene (PP) (recycle #5) 0.0002 - 0.0005
      > PET 0.014 (recycle #1)
      > ABS 0.02
      > PVC 0.023 (recycle #3)
      >
      > Could you do some Q measurements on it, then try another
      > one with polypropylene pipe instead? It would interesting
      > to see if there is a major difference in Q factor.
      >
      > I think one of the reasons the FSL's do so well is the
      > construction technique - that foam stuff everyone uses
      > between the ferrites and the coil has a nice low loss
      > tangent.

      But using a tube of plastic as a coil form is not making a
      tuning capacitor with these plastics as the dielectric. It
      is not even between the turns, but only beside them.

      The plastic makes up only a fraction of the total dielectric
      involved in the coil parallel capacitance.
      So the plastic losses might not be so significant as these
      numbers indicate.

      John Popelish
    • loopantennas@yahoogroups.com
      Message 123 of 123 , Aug 21, 2013
        Hello,

        a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the loopantennas
        group.

        File : /GB2235337A.pdf
        Uploaded by : andrewikin <andrew.ikin@...>
        Description : LiniPlex loop GB Patent GB2235337A

        You can access this file at the URL:

        andrewikin <andrew.ikin@...>