Re: [loopantennas] Capacitor for Carpet Loop Antenna

  • Don
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 8, 2013
      There are lots of them on eBay. Most old tube radios will have the type
      of capacitor you want. Look at the photo's on eBay to get an idea of
      what they look like.

      Don KPC6NDB
      Upland, CA
      34.10 -117.63 1250ft
      R-75 w/250Hz 2x R-71A w/250Hz R-70
      Perseus SDR-IQ FRG-100B SR-AF & LPF
      DSP599zx MFJ-784B HD-1418 AF-1 MSB-1
      PA0RDT Mini-Whip x2 @ 25ft
      RYO Active Antenna @ 25ft
      LFL1010 ALA100L x2

      On 08-Feb-13 04:56, legitfromtheman wrote:
      > Hello all,
      >
      > I'm trying to buy all the parts needed to construct a carpet loop antenna as detailed:
      >
      > http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/wOgUUWnH9vKjFDclXVfcy6nit1FVR-wxQXaamHyYZxkvnqIVpHFCsFuOnswa46vzcaDBqmU1tEPuuLknUeadDROTyh87MDtINq92Jf9B/carpetloop.pdf
      >

      > The only part I cannot find is a 365pf variable capacitor. I can however find a variety of other capacitors, the easiest to source being one with a range of 0-200pf.
      >
      > Can anyone tell me if a 200pf capacitor can be used for shortwave listening or do I need a capacitor as close to 365pF as possible? I am unsure what the different ranges on offer actually mean in reality. Does it equate to better fine tuning or would a smaller capacitor give a shorter tuning range?

      > You can now view images at higher resolution in Photos. Upload JPG and GIF into Photos. Please convert BMP or TIF to JPG or GIF before uploading.
      >
      > And please trim all this when replying!Yahoo! Groups Links
      >

      > -----
      > No virus found in this message.

    • Stacy Williams
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 8, 2013

        Hello:)

        What would work was to connect a say 75pf capacitor in parallel to the 200pf you have mentioned.  Then you could even have a switch to use the extra 75 when needed.  This would work for short wave listening no problems.  You could even try copper tape around your skirting boards!

        Good luck & 73
        m0wsa
        Stacy

        Spooky action at a distance.......

        On Feb 8, 2013 3:03 PM, "legitfromtheman" <legitfromtheman@...> wrote:

        Hello all,

        I'm trying to buy all the parts needed to construct a carpet loop antenna as detailed:

        http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/wOgUUWnH9vKjFDclXVfcy6nit1FVR-wxQXaamHyYZxkvnqIVpHFCsFuOnswa46vzcaDBqmU1tEPuuLknUeadDROTyh87MDtINq92Jf9B/carpetloop.pdf

        The only part I cannot find is a 365pf variable capacitor. I can however find a variety of other capacitors, the easiest to source being one with a range of 0-200pf.

        Can anyone tell me if a 200pf capacitor can be used for shortwave listening or do I need a capacitor as close to 365pF as possible? I am unsure what the different ranges on offer actually mean in reality. Does it equate to better fine tuning or would a smaller capacitor give a shorter tuning range?

      • Sam Morgan
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 8, 2013
          http://midnightscience.com/catalog5.html

          --

          GB & 73
          K5OAI
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 8, 2013
            Have a look at http://www.midnightscience.com under Radio Parts for the 365pF variable capacitor.

            73

            Ian Johnson
            Brisbane Australia
          • John
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 9, 2013
              Give this URL a try http://www.flickr.com/photos/93005502@N08/

              John.

              On 8 February 2013 12:56, legitfromtheman <legitfromtheman@...> wrote:
[...]

              <*> Your email settings:
                  Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
                  (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:
                  loopantennas-digest@yahoogroups.com
                  loopantennas-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              --
              Windows 7 Home Premium.

              Regards
              John.

              York North Yorkshire Locator IO93lw

              Save Shortwave Radio.
              http://www.mikeandsniffy.co.uk/UKQRM/

            • legitfromtheman
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 10, 2013
                Many thanks for all your helpful responses. I will experiment with adding a few capacitors in parallel and see how that works.

                Jim