Re: [loopantennas] Re: Soldered vs unsoldered joints

  • Qrp Gaijin
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 6, 2013
      Forgive the belated response, but:

      On Sun, Jan 27, 2013 7:05 PM PST redsp wrote:

      >If we are talking about resistance, I'm not sure it is that simple. The skin effect should behave differently on a flat strip than on a round tube.

      Yes, very much so. The equivalent-diameter cylindrical-cross-section conductor corresponding to a flat, rectangular-cross-section conductor cannot be computed simply by taking the diameter of the cylinder formed by rolling the flat conductor into a tube.

      I wrote a lengthy post on this subject for another forum. See here for details on how to compute the equivalent-tubing-diameter of flat conductors: http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,86102.msg630653.html#msg630653

      The brief summary is to read and understand everything W9CF has written on the subject, then use his approximations to compute an equivalent-resistance diameter and an equivalent-inductance diameter, and use those values to compute the small loop efficiency (explained in the above link).