Value proposistion for FSLs (Rick question)

  • lowalacrity
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 5, 2013
      Rick,
      More to your actual question, In my experience, I haven't found that much performance improvement when using add-on loops to already high performing radios such as yours. They already have relatively large ferrite loops built in. With a cheap transistor radio, they make a huge difference. Same with the new generation of Ultra Lights, they have small ferrite rods that benefit from augmentation. The DSP technology they employ makes them unbeatable.
      To the fat vs. skinny question. The resurgence and popularity of FSL's attest to the superiority of loop diameter. Like air core loops, I think it has to do with aperture. The thing with large air cores is that they become cumbersome. Ferrite core loops, especially FSL's, condense that performance down. The litz wire helps a great deal to, with the added "Q". With sensitivity comes added noise. Contra (counter wound) windings come into play here. They do make a difference. My work with Everett's Stacked Toroid Ferrite Loop has shown me this and made it my reference loop of choice. (plug)..
      I hope this helps.
      73,
      John KG6ZBN