RE: [loopantennas] Re: Edginton QW Loop beacon-test on 160 Meters

  • William Young
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 24, 2012
      Jim, OK, I will listen tonight and try to make the comparison.  I was born in Sherman, Texas and lived in nearby Bonham until I was 9 years old in the spring of 1949.  There was a ham across the street from us named McDougal(I think).  73 Bill Young WD5HOH

      To: loopantennas@yahoogroups.com
      From: jwin95@...
      Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2012 17:20:17 +0000
      Subject: [loopantennas] Re: Edginton QW Loop beacon-test on 160 Meters

      Thank you for the report Bill. Nice to see an in-state
      report far to the south! (QTH here of course being North-
      Central Texas/DFW area.)

      Interesting antenna you describe using too.

      I have set up to transmit on 1900 kHz again for the day until
      about 6 PM this evening (there are nets that meet on 1900) and
      then will QSY to 2 MHz again.

      It would be interesting, Bill, if you get a chance to compare
      the signal strengths from the group that meets on 1990 kHz
      (every night starting about 7 PM) and in particular, how my
      signal compares with the W5VYY station as he is only a couple
      miles to my east and he runs a full-wave horizontal loop up
      about 75 feet (contrasted with the beacon QW vertical 16'x40'
      loop) and the W5VYY station tuns full legal power (whereas the
      beacon is 100 W max).

      Could make for a useful comparison, the cloud-warmer FWLoop
      vs the low-radiation-angle vertical tuned QWLoop ...

      73, Jim WB5WPA