Actual comparisons of my Loop antenna VS. the Whip

  • Phil
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 26, 2012
      Tonight I conducted a number of experiments comparing the two antennas.
      I tuned FCH-344 which has a reasonably strong and steady signal here,
      then first checked the loop by rotating it. Even though the signal
      strength of FCH didn't seem to change much as observed on the "S" meter
      I could get a definite null on the power-line noise as I turned it. The
      quietest spot seemed to be almost due North/South, which is basically
      the same results I saw with various loop antenna experiments shortly
      after I moved in here almost 13 years ago.

      Then I set the loop for the quietest background and switched between the
      Loop and the Ratzlaff active whip. Keep in mind that the whip is
      located about 21 feet higher than the loop and is in a MUCH quieter
      location. Also, the loop has much higher gain than the whip due to it's
      being resonant, and I inadvertently used an amplifier with more gain
      than was actually needed.

      That recording starts with the whip, switches to the loop, back to the
      whip, then finally the loop again.

      And finally, these tests were run in the AM "wide" (6kHz) mode as the
      difference is more noticeable than when using the narrow CW mode
      combined with narrow audio filters. . .

      Hear the tests here (pictures of the two antennas are also on the site
      in separate albums).
      http://www.ipernity.com/blog/ko6bb/424927

      --
      73 de Phil, KO6BB
      http://www.qsl.net/ko6bb/ (Web Page)

      RADIOS:
      Grundigs: S-350 (2006) & G6 (2011).
      Icom: R-75 with Cascaded 250Hz CW Filters.
      Kenwood: TS130S HF Transceiver (circa 1980).
      Radio Shack: DX-380 digital portable (circa 1990).
      Zenith: Royal-7000 Transoceanic (circa 1969).

      Audio Interface: Two Mark One Earholes.
      Decoder Software: Gray-matter between two ears.

      ACCESSORIES: Homebrew LF-MF Pre-Amp, MFJ-949E HF Tuner
      Timewave DSP-599zx and Homebrew 6 Hz Filter.

      ANTENNAS: 88' Long Ladder-line fed dipole at 35 feet AGL.
      Ratzlaff 3 Foot Active Whip at 36 Feet AGL for LF/MW
      4 Foot/side Tuned Rotatable Loop at 15 Feet AGL for LF

      Merced, Central California, 37, 18, 37N 120, 30, 6W CM97rh
    • Dean Wayman
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 28, 2012
        --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, Phil <ko6bb1@...> wrote:

        > Tonight I conducted a number of experiments comparing the two antennas.
        > I tuned FCH-344 which has a reasonably strong and steady signal here,
        > then first checked the loop by rotating it. Even though the signal
        > strength of FCH didn't seem to change much as observed on the "S" meter
        > I could get a definite null on the power-line noise as I turned it. The
        > quietest spot seemed to be almost due North/South, which is basically
        > the same results I saw with various loop antenna experiments shortly
        > after I moved in here almost 13 years ago.
        >
        > Then I set the loop for the quietest background and switched between the
        > Loop and the Ratzlaff active whip. Keep in mind that the whip is
        > located about 21 feet higher than the loop and is in a MUCH quieter
        > location. Also, the loop has much higher gain than the whip due to it's
        > being resonant, and I inadvertently used an amplifier with more gain
        > than was actually needed.

        Sounds very similar to my experience here ,i'm still learning the in-and-outs of phasing but it has helped my dx a lot ,in fact last night i heard a station from California (1kw 1212miles) that i would have never heard without the phaser and antennas i have ,gl with your setup :)

        Dean_0