Re: Loop calculator softwares

  • qrp.gaijin
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2012
      --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, Benoît Mangin <mangin.benoit@...> wrote:
      > What do you use for your multiturn loop calculations (softwares) ?

      Are you talking about a small loop (magnetic loop) antenna?

      If so, I use 4nec2 for this sort of thing. It can load EZNEC files. The following post contains an EZNEC file of a multi-turn loop: http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,83624.msg603106.html#msg603106

      As a fully-featured NEC2-based antenna modeling suite, 4nec2's features may seem overwhelming at first, but it's actually very easy to use, and I'm sure it gives you far more information than a simple loop calculator program would (information like current distribution around the loop, 3D radiation pattern, etc.).
    • Benoît Mangin
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1, 2012
        OK,

        For modelling purposes I use MMANA, because of the graphical functionalities of the thing. But modeling a octogonal 25 turns 2m diameter loop takes some art...

        Plus, the loop should be made with litz wire (for LF/MF use or MF/160meters use), so modeling is out of the question, because of stray capacitance of such a cooil. All I have to do, I guess, is build, then measure, then apply Thomson formulas. But it is in the peasuring part that I doubt the thing. My LC-meter just seems not reliable enough to me, for RF applications. I guess it samples the inductance es capacitance @ 1kHz.

        I would like to build it for 100-600kHz or 400/2000kHz use, which can be a bit tricky...

        Have you got any measuring procedures ? I do not care about SWR at this stage, this will be dealt with using proper ferrite transformer and/or coupling loop inside of the main - that's to say, tuned - loop arrangement.
        I will need to get L of course, and C, due to Litz wire use and the increased stray capacitance it produces. Then, I could get the antenna self-resonant frequency -without connecting a capacitor - and calculate how much C I need to resonate it on other frequencies.

        Any suggestion ?

        VY73

        de F8GRY/Ben

        De : qrp.gaijin <qrp.gaijin@...>