Loop calculator softwares

  • Benoît Mangin
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 31, 2012
      Good evening all,

      I'm in trouble using all my loop calculation softwares under windows seven. My favorite, rjeloop3 (from the zerobeat download page) just does not open.

      What do you use for your multiturn loop calculations (softwares) ?

      I could use the thomson formula, but I also want to approach the thing with the use of softwares. I haven't got any mini-VNA, nor do I have a precise enough inductance and capacitance meter (mine does mesure @ abt 1kHz frequency, which I do not find useful for RF design).

      It's a PIC-controlled LCmeter I ebayed myself couple of months ago. Do you think It could be useful nonetheless ?

      Do some of you use some Windows7 friendly loop calculators ?

      de F8GRY/Ben
    • qrp.gaijin
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1, 2012
        --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, Benoît Mangin <mangin.benoit@...> wrote:
        > What do you use for your multiturn loop calculations (softwares) ?

        Are you talking about a small loop (magnetic loop) antenna?

        If so, I use 4nec2 for this sort of thing. It can load EZNEC files. The following post contains an EZNEC file of a multi-turn loop: http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,83624.msg603106.html#msg603106

        As a fully-featured NEC2-based antenna modeling suite, 4nec2's features may seem overwhelming at first, but it's actually very easy to use, and I'm sure it gives you far more information than a simple loop calculator program would (information like current distribution around the loop, 3D radiation pattern, etc.).
      • Benoît Mangin
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 1, 2012
          OK,

          For modelling purposes I use MMANA, because of the graphical functionalities of the thing. But modeling a octogonal 25 turns 2m diameter loop takes some art...

          Plus, the loop should be made with litz wire (for LF/MF use or MF/160meters use), so modeling is out of the question, because of stray capacitance of such a cooil. All I have to do, I guess, is build, then measure, then apply Thomson formulas. But it is in the peasuring part that I doubt the thing. My LC-meter just seems not reliable enough to me, for RF applications. I guess it samples the inductance es capacitance @ 1kHz.

          I would like to build it for 100-600kHz or 400/2000kHz use, which can be a bit tricky...

          Have you got any measuring procedures ? I do not care about SWR at this stage, this will be dealt with using proper ferrite transformer and/or coupling loop inside of the main - that's to say, tuned - loop arrangement.
          I will need to get L of course, and C, due to Litz wire use and the increased stray capacitance it produces. Then, I could get the antenna self-resonant frequency -without connecting a capacitor - and calculate how much C I need to resonate it on other frequencies.

          Any suggestion ?

          VY73

          de F8GRY/Ben

          De : qrp.gaijin <qrp.gaijin@...>