Re: [loopantennas] CRT Degaussing coil, anybody tried one for a loop

  • Tim Hills
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 7, 2012
      No  problem Phil.

      I had the same idea years ago when repairing TVs was my bread and butter.

      The one I experimented with was out of a 25" Zenith System II (?) console. The self resonance of the degaussing coil was about 80KHz so one might be useful for a WWVB receiver.

      Tim Hills
      Sioux Falls, SD

      On 4/7/2012 16:47, Phil wrote:

      Thank you Tim,
      I was afraid that was the case, but thought I'd ask anyway as the price
      was right. Later this summer, before the winter listening season sets
      in I plan on building a Varactor remote tuned loop for the 200-530KHz
      range, something small enough to fit on a rotator above the roofline,
      but large enough to hear something :)

      73 de Phil, KO6BB
      http://ko6bb1.multiply.com/ (OTR Blog)
      http://www.qsl.net/ko6bb/ (Web Page)

      RADIOS:
      Grundigs: Satellit 750 (2011), S-350 (2006)& G6 (2011).
      Icom: R-75 with Two 250Hz CW Filters.
      Kenwood: TS130S HF Transceiver (circa 1980).
      Radio Shack: DX-380 digital portable (circa 1990).
      RFspace: SDR-IQ (circa 2012)
      Zenith: Royal-7000 Transoceanic (circa 1969).

      ACCESSORIES: Homebrewed LF Pre-Amp, MFJ-949E HF Tuner
      Homebrewed 6 Hz Filter.

      ANTENNAS: 88' Long Ladder-line fed dipole, Apex at 35 feet.
      Ratzlaff Active Whip up 24 feet for LF/MW
      Merced, Central California, 37.3N 120.48W CM97sh