Re: [loopantennas] Pixel PRO-1A

  • Tracey Gardner
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 14, 2012
      Hello Ron

      Are you a member of the Yahoo NDB list?

      73s Tracey G5VU

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "slsfron" <wr5rr@...>
      To: <loopantennas@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Wednesday, March 14, 2012 2:39 AM
      Subject: [loopantennas] Pixel PRO-1A

      >I have a PRO-1A and I thought worked pretty well. Recently I purchased the
      >Clifton Labs Z1501D Active Antenna and it receives hands down uch better
      >then the PRO-1A. The Z1501D is mounted on a pole about 7' high, and the
      >Pro-1A is mounted on a 14' section of Rohn 25 with a 5' mast. Of course the
      >Pro-1A has a rotor to turn it. Both are fed with premium quad shield coax
      >which is mostly buried until it goes up into the attic to the radios. I
      >wonder if the Pro-1A can be upgraded to the B model and if that would make
      >a difference. I am basing my experiance with both antennas while DXing
      >NDBs.
      >
      > WR5RR Ron

      > You can now view images at higher resolution in Photos. Upload JPG and GIF
      > into Photos. Please convert BMP or TIF to JPG or GIF before uploading.
      >
      > And please trim all this when replying!Yahoo! Groups Links
      >

      > -----
      > No virus found in this message.

    • John
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 14, 2012
        I wonder if the Pro-1A can be upgraded to the B model and if that would make a difference. I am basing my experiance with both antennas while DXing NDBs.

        > WR5RR Ron

        Ron,

        Recently, I contacted Doug Talley at Pixel re the same question, as my Pro-1A was bought directly from them a year ago. I sent him pictures of my fixed loop installation. He said my amp was okay, but the new and improved 'B' loop would be an improvement and he could send me one for $200. I didn't take him up on his offer. I may call him one day and find out just what improvement I could expect. The antenna was $350 - the loop shouldn't represent over half of it's cost - and it makes me think they shipped me 'old stock' when I bought my loop - not a great feeling since the 'B' was out just days/weeks later. Maybe I just feel a bit burned. The loop did null EMI from arcing high tension insulators in front of my house, but that changed in January when a tornado came through my neighborhood, taking down many such power lines. Listening now is very sporadic. I was impressed with the loop.

        John
      • Cliff
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 14, 2012
          Hi Ron,

          Just received my PRO-1B at some expense in Australia. So far impressed had WWVB 60khz very strong this morning,using either my Watkins Johnson 8718A or the JRC-NRD545DSP I don't have much to compare it with but works well as far as I can determine.Oh yes this is indoors at ground level of a villa.

          What have you noticed about the Clifton in comparison to the loop ?

          rgds
          Cliff VK2CCJ

          --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, "slsfron" <wr5rr@...> wrote:

          > I have a PRO-1A and I thought worked pretty well. Recently I purchased the Clifton Labs Z1501D Active Antenna and it receives hands down uch better then the PRO-1A. The Z1501D is mounted on a pole about 7' high, and the Pro-1A is mounted on a 14' section of Rohn 25 with a 5' mast. Of course the Pro-1A has a rotor to turn it. Both are fed with premium quad shield coax which is mostly buried until it goes up into the attic to the radios. I wonder if the Pro-1A can be upgraded to the B model and if that would make a difference. I am basing my experiance with both antennas while DXing NDBs.
          >
          > WR5RR Ron

        • slsfron
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 15, 2012
            Yes I am a member of the NDB list.
            73
            Ron WR5RR

            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 15, 2012
              Most of the time the Clifton Labs 1500D receives NDBs much better. It was pointed out to me that "A good active whip will always be more sensitive than the small loop at LF--that's just the physics of the loop in operation. The loop steadily loses sensitivity as frequency decreases. And an approx. 1 meter diameter untuned active loop is just not very sensitive at LF compared to a good active whip". A larger loop would work better at LF. There is no electrical or performance difference between the upgraded B version and the original A. This is my findings and information from Jack Clifton and Steve AA7U. Both very knowlegable on both antennas. I haven't spent much time on the higher bands comparing the antennas.

              Ron WR5RR

              --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, "Cliff" <vk2ccj@...> wrote:

              > Hi Ron,
              >
              > Just received my PRO-1B at some expense in Australia. So far impressed had WWVB 60khz very strong this morning,using either my Watkins Johnson 8718A or the JRC-NRD545DSP I don't have much to compare it with but works well as far as I can determine.Oh yes this is indoors at ground level of a villa.
              >
              > What have you noticed about the Clifton in comparison to the loop ?
              >
              > rgds
              > Cliff VK2CCJ
              >
              > --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, "slsfron" <wr5rr@> wrote:
              > >
              > > I have a PRO-1A and I thought worked pretty well. Recently I purchased the Clifton Labs Z1501D Active Antenna and it receives hands down uch better then the PRO-1A. The Z1501D is mounted on a pole about 7' high, and the Pro-1A is mounted on a 14' section of Rohn 25 with a 5' mast. Of course the Pro-1A has a rotor to turn it. Both are fed with premium quad shield coax which is mostly buried until it goes up into the attic to the radios. I wonder if the Pro-1A can be upgraded to the B model and if that would make a difference. I am basing my experiance with both antennas while DXing NDBs.
              > >
              > > WR5RR Ron

            • Tom Humes
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 15, 2012
                what is the specific groups address for NDB's?

                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 15, 2012
                  <ndblist"@yahoogroups.com

                  Don
                  Upland, CA