Re: [loopantennas] Digest Number 1994

  • Doug Kniffen
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2012
      On 2/1/2012 8:23 AM, loopantennas@yahoogroups.com wrote:
      > 1a. Re: Terminated Delta Loop
      > Posted by: "tenorman1952" tenorman1952@... tenorman1952
      > Date: Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:11 am ((PST))
      >
      > Our experience (club) with a T2FD was dismal. Great SWR readings on all bands, just deaf as a post and no output. Could not hear it across town. A great dummy load.

      I wonder why it didn't work for you, maybe you were expecting
      something different. T2FD is not a "weak signal" antenna, but it works
      very well in high noise environments. I've been using a T2FD (mounted
      inverted "V" style) for many years. Really serious noise problems here
      and the T2FD was the only one of many antennas tried that would bring in
      a clean signal. If your location has off frequency noise on top of
      moderately strong desired signals, the T2FD is a "second to none"
      antenna choice.
      Reducing the local noise level -WILL- allow reception of signals way to
      weak to be heard under the noise picked up by other (not resistively
      terminated) antenna designs.

      Doug Kniffen
    • thinkdx
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 2012
        "Ditto" on your comments, Doug. The T2FDs I've built have been quiet
        antennas and revealed signals that were previously covered up. I never
        tried transmitting with one, though.
        In the early 1990s I wrote a T2FD construction article that may be of
        interest. It appeared in an early edition of the Fine Tuning's
        "Proceedings" books, but has been posted on the Hard-Core-DX site for
        years. The URLs to the pages of the article are:
        http://www.hard-core-dx.com/nordicdx/antenna/wire/t2fd.html
        <http://www.hard-core-dx.com/nordicdx/antenna/wire/t2fd.html>
        http://www.hard-core-dx.com/nordicdx/antenna/wire/t2design.html
        <http://www.hard-core-dx.com/nordicdx/antenna/wire/t2design.html>
        http://www.hard-core-dx.com/nordicdx/antenna/wire/t2fdcomp.html
        <http://www.hard-core-dx.com/nordicdx/antenna/wire/t2fdcomp.html>
        My best T2FDs were the ones built from VERY sturdy materials and with
        the wire pulled VERY taut in order keep the antenna as straight as
        possible without droop (and to maintain the optimum 30 degree tilt
        angle). This isn't easy to do with a 90mb tropical bands T2FD that's
        almost 100 feet long!
        Guy KE7MAVPuyallup, WA

        --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, Doug Kniffen <dkniffen@...> wrote:

        > On 2/1/2012 8:23 AM, loopantennas@yahoogroups.com wrote:
        > > 1a. Re: Terminated Delta Loop
        > > Posted by: "tenorman1952" tenorman1952@... tenorman1952
        > > Date: Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:11 am ((PST))

        > I wonder why it didn't work for you, maybe you were expecting
        > something different. T2FD is not a "weak signal" antenna, but it works
        > very well in high noise environments. I've been using a T2FD (mounted
        > inverted "V" style) for many years. Really serious noise problems here
        > and the T2FD was the only one of many antennas tried that would bring
        in
        > a clean signal. If your location has off frequency noise on top of
        > moderately strong desired signals, the T2FD is a "second to none"
        > antenna choice.
        > Reducing the local noise level -WILL- allow reception of signals way
        > weak to be heard under the noise picked up by other (not resistively
        > terminated) antenna designs.
        >
        > Doug Kniffen

      • tenorman1952
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 2, 2012
          --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, Doug Kniffen <dkniffen@...> wrote:

          > On 2/1/2012 8:23 AM, loopantennas@yahoogroups.com wrote:
          > > 1a. Re: Terminated Delta Loop
          > > Posted by: "tenorman1952" tenorman1952@... tenorman1952
          > > Date: Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:11 am ((PST))
          > >
          > > Our experience (club) with a T2FD was dismal. Great SWR readings on all bands, just deaf as a post and no output. Could not hear it across town. A great dummy load.
          > >
          > I wonder why it didn't work for you, maybe you were expecting
          > something different. T2FD is not a "weak signal" antenna, but it works
          > very well in high noise environments.

          (trimmed)

          > Doug Kniffen

          Not a clue, just did not get out. No contacts were made for that Field Day with that antenna, despite trying for several hours. Not one. However the homebrew Buddipole was great. Since then I designed another Field Day antenna that we now use. We made contacts coast to coast on 20 and 15 meters, and all over the south on 40 meters. This was at 50-100 w.

          http://www.hamuniverse.com/ae5jufielddayantenna.html

          73,
          Paul - AE5JU
        • bk915
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 2, 2012
            I've got a B&W T2FD, 90', came from an SK. While seeming 'deaf' the reception did seem to have a lower signal level but better S/N ratio. I didn't try to Tx very much, but the modeling I've seen, possibly Cebik, shows lower gain than a standard dipole. It is not meant as a DX antenna. I think the Navy had it developed to be capable of being used anywhere in the HF spectrum. It is used with the systems that hop frequency, also, just can't remember what that's called. A versatile antenna, maybe, high performance? No.

            For amateur or swl use it can be a decent Rx only antenna if it's inconvenient to set up something better.

            Bill Kulze W2NVD