RE: [loopantennas] Re: Light duty rotor suggestions for Pixel loop

  • Steve Roberts
    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 28 7:00 PM
      Hello Dennis,
      I am a complete beginner relative to loop antenna's but I tend to go
      overboard every time I venture into new territory and this is the case with
      this project!
      Per your request I have attached two digi pics, one shows the 5 turn loop to
      which I have to ad a 1/2 turn transmitting loop. The other digi pic is the
      build of the variable capacitor with the motor and gearbox together with the
      waterproof box.
      Also I attached a picture of the MFJ1788.
      I work with an Icom 756PRO2 which has 100 watts HOWEVER the tuning of the
      MFJ1788 has to be done at low power 1 to 20 watts. I find the tuning
      frustrating so far but hope to learn a few tricks. The problem is I am used
      to cruising the entire band using Yagi and when one finds a station just
      responding right away. Not so with a loop antenna as the tuning is so narrow
      and you can cruise to receive but you can not transmit on what you find
      until you have retuned. Mind you for an antenna only 36" in diameter I
      suppose one can not complain.
      I have not yet learned how to upload pictures so sort of hope these go out
      to others at the same time.

      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 28 7:15 PM
        Attachments to Yahoogroups get stripped. Please post in photos area.

        Jim

      • dreagin@q.com

          Message 4 of 22 , Oct 29 12:35 AM
            Steve,

            This got my attention, "SM0VPO Harry Lythall 80 meter 5 turn loop antenna and
            ready to test this coming week."

            In time let us know about that one. I have yet to install my home made dipole for 80/75M, old, lazy, sickly and too many irons, shooting club, but will get it done. I'm still studying my ARRL book, the net sites and dealing with family matters  that never end.

            Thanks.

            Bill McGraw, KF5FJZ, NRA Life
            "Somewhere South of Chicago"
            Greenville, Mississippi

            --- On Fri, 10/28/11, Steve Roberts <sr888@...> wrote:

            Hello Bill,
            No tower involved Bill (I had to give up tower and yagi antennas 4 years ago
            when we downsized, I got old!). The MFJ1788 is pipe mounted on a garden shed
            and is 16 feet up in the air. I have another 4 feet sticking out bottom of
            bracket so with help I can get it 20 feet up in the air.
            I have constructed SM0VPO Harry Lythall 80 meter 5 turn loop antenna and
            ready to test this coming week.
            I can send you photographs if you so wish.
            I worked in Chicago back in 1965 on loan from England for a very large
            press company, enjoyed that time.
            Cheers Steve Roberts VE3LEH

          • vtnn43e48073
            Message 5 of 22 , Oct 29 7:41 PM
              I am confused about the CM 9537 as I cannot find that model on the Channel Master site. There is a 9537 controller but no 9537 rotor.

              Which model rotor are you using with the 9537 controller?

              Zack
              N8FNR

              --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, Bill McGraw <mcgr3799@...> wrote:

              > --- On Thu, 10/27/11, Steve Roberts <sr888@...> wrote:
              >

              > Hi, I purchased a Channel Master model 9537 and put a MFJ1788 loop on top of
              > it. It is 70 feet from the house and works perfectly. Mind you the MFJ1788
              > is not very directional but more about that later.
              >
              > Steve,
              >
              > What arrangement for a tower do you have and is it 70 feet away or up from your home?
              >
              > Bill McGraw, KF5FJZ, NRA Life
              > "Somewhere South of Chicago"
              > Greenville, Mississippi

            • Steve Roberts
              Message 6 of 22 , Oct 30 10:30 AM
                Ahhh thanks Jim I will attempt to upload into photo area.
                Cheers
                Steve R VE3LEH

                Message 7 of 22 , Oct 30 10:43 AM
                  Hello Jim, Hi Group,
                  Well thank you Jim as I think I have uploaded two digi pics, one of the
                  80/160 meter 5 turn loop and the other of the variable capacitor with gear
                  motor gearbox being assembled. Perhaps you would be good enough to confirm
                  that I did indeed succeed???
                  The MFJ1788 is working wonderfully well today on 10,15 and 20 meters in
                  receive mode. Transmitting works but it is oh so slow tune and respond to a
                  calling station. I will have to work on being much faster somehow. It takes
                  a minimum of 45 seconds to tune for transmit and that does not sound like
                  much but it is.
                  Cheers
                  Steve Roberts VE3LEH

                  Message 8 of 22 , Oct 30 10:54 AM
                    Hello Dennis,
                    The 10,15 and 20 meter bands are open today and Europe is coming in just
                    fine. The one thing I do notice is the quiet! This antenna has no hash
                    noise. My Yagis used nto be very noisy. I uploaded two digi pics (I think I
                    did it right) so the group can see the 80/160 meter loop I am building.
                    Steve Roberts VE3LEH

                    Message 9 of 22 , Oct 30 12:43 PM
                      ah ha found them in the photos area
                      I had been looking in the files area, duh, my bad

                      may get you there
                      sometimes links don't work like you think/hope they will

                      GB & 73
                      K5OAI
                      Sam Morgan

                    • Steve Roberts
                      Message 10 of 22 , Oct 30 2:52 PM
                        Hello Zack,
                        Sorry my fault I turned controller upside down and the drive plus controller
                        number is 9521A (for 110 volts). Nicely made unit and an easy installation.
                        I put it to good use this weekend to cancel out hash while operating the
                        contest. The MFJ1788 itself is not very directional but the rotation does
                        eliminate interference thus the selected signal is easier to hear.
                        Cheers
                        Steve Roberts VE3LEH

                        --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com <mailto:loopantennas%40yahoogroups.com>
                        , Bill McGraw <mcgr3799@...> wrote:

                        > --- On Thu, 10/27/11, Steve Roberts <sr888@...> wrote:
                        >

                        > Hi, I purchased a Channel Master model 9537 and put a MFJ1788 loop on top
                        of
                        > it. It is 70 feet from the house and works perfectly. Mind you the MFJ1788
                        > is not very directional but more about that later.
                        >
                        > Steve,
                        >
                        > What arrangement for a tower do you have and is it 70 feet away or up from
                        your home?

                        > Bill McGraw, KF5FJZ, NRA Life
                        > "Somewhere South of Chicago"
                        > Greenville, Mississippi

                      • Steve Roberts
                        Message 11 of 22 , Oct 30 3:00 PM
                          Great so glad to hear they uploaded. Should I have uploaded them into the
                          file section???
                          Cheers
                          Steve Roberts VE3LEH

                          I had been looking in the files area, duh, my bad

                          mode=tn
                          <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/loopantennas/photos/album/1945337814/pic/list
                          ?mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=1&dir=asc> &order=ordinal&start=1&dir=asc

                          Message 12 of 22 , Oct 30 4:15 PM
                            Thanks Steve for clearing that up. Think that I will give one of those a try.

                            Zack
                            N8FNR

                            --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Roberts" <sr888@...> wrote:

                            > Hello Zack,
                            > Sorry my fault I turned controller upside down and the drive plus controller
                            > number is 9521A (for 110 volts). Nicely made unit and an easy installation.
                            > I put it to good use this weekend to cancel out hash while operating the
                            > contest. The MFJ1788 itself is not very directional but the rotation does
                            > eliminate interference thus the selected signal is easier to hear.
                            > Cheers
                            > Steve Roberts VE3LEH

                          • Steve Roberts
                            Message 13 of 22 , Dec 4, 2011
                              In case you are wondering I am still fiddling with it. The mechanics of the
                              antenna are complete and it is wired ready for the 75 pf variable capacitor.
                              I am waiting for a good weather day and I will temporary rig the antenna and
                              try it out on receive and if all seems in order I will give it a transmit
                              try out at low wattage and proceed from there.
                              Because the loop (1788) was so slow in tuning I decided to install a back up
                              43' MFJ vertical antenna 6 to 160 meters as shown on the attached picture.
                              Wonderful results, nearly as good as the yagi beams I gave up four years ago
                              when I moved location.
                              Cheers
                              Steve Roberts VE3LEH