MFJ1788

  • Steve Roberts
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 10, 2011
      My MFJ1788 has arrived after a wait of 6 months and 3 days (Ordered April
      4th).
      Out of the box it looks good and the manual seems more than adequate.
      Now the fun begins ~ erection and testing

      Regards,
      Steve Roberts VE3LEH
      Professional Engineer
      2200 Blackbird Court, Oakville, Ontario, Canada L6M 5E7
      Tel 905-827-8462
      Fax 905-827-1467
      ----
      THE INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS E-MAIL MESSAGE IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE
      PERSONAL AND CONFIDENTIAL USE OF THE DESIGNATED RECIPIENTS. This e-mail
      message and/or any attachments thereto may be confidential, legally
      privileged, and/or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are
      not the intended recipient, please notify me immediately by return email,
      and delete this message from your system. Thank you. Note: We have taken
      precautions against viruses, but take no responsibility for loss or damage
      caused by any virus present.

    • dreagin@q.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 10, 2011
        Please give us on the group here your review of the MFJ 1788.I have been looking closely at the MFJ 1786 myself..73..D.Reagin W7KB.

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 10, 2011
          Hi D
          There is a review on eham.net if you can't wait for Steves' review - seems
          more people love it rather than hate it !

          http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/2992

          regards
          Steve,g4vbd

        • dreagin@q.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 11, 2011
            Thanks,Steve...I have read the reviews on both the MFJ 1788 & 1786 models on eham.net reviews a few times over and also the G4TPH website on mag loops.The more I hear about them the better.You are right,the majority of reviews on this product have been very favorable along with the Alex Walkham loop.73...W7KB.
            There is a review on eham.net if you can't wait for Steves' review - seems
            more people love it rather than hate it !

            http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/2992

            regards
            Steve,g4vbd

            On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 2:12 AM, <dreagin@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > Please give us on the group here your review of the MFJ 1788.I have been
            > looking closely at the MFJ 1786 myself..73..D.Reagin W7KB.

            You can now view images at higher resolution in Photos. Upload JPG and GIF into Photos. Please convert BMP or TIF to JPG or GIF before uploading.

            And please trim all this when replying!Yahoo! Groups Links
          • Steve Roberts
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 12, 2011
              * My main column is 1-3/4" diameter thick wall aluminum but MFJ1788
              only accepts 1-1/2"diameter so decided as this loop is partially directional
              to introduce a new rotor that I had in stock for some time..
              * Quick trip to metal supper market and obtained 1-1/2"diameter thick
              walled tube stub length to go in top portion of rotor. Squared the ends in
              the lathe and chamfered ends.
              * The first problem (and hope the only one) to come to light was that
              the hole centers of the antenna clamping hardware did not match the threaded
              mounting holes in the loop body. With a suitable carbide end mill in the
              milling machine elongated the holes and rectified the problem. This could
              have been done with a round file but there are twelve holes to rectify and
              it would have been tedious by hand.
              * Assembled rotor to main pole column and assembled loop antenna to
              the rotor using the new stub tube.
              * Raised the assembly (wobbly as I am old and weak) with column end on
              ground into main clamping hardware of bracket.
              * Wired rotor (70 feet from house)
              * RAIN STOPPED PLAY!!!! Will wire antenna and push column up into the
              air on a sunny day.