Re: Lookinmg for hams who are plumbers- connecting flexible copper pipe. .

  • longjohn119
    Message 1 of 8 , May 16, 2011
      Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, I have a lot of contracted preventative maintenance work and I like to get as much of it out of the way plus we had a couple of days of record temps in the low 90's

      The problem with mixing silver rod and normal solder is you have to hear the rod to a much higher temperature so if the other joint is too close it's literally spit the solder right out of the joint. You can use a heat trap paste but that's not very cost effective for a one time deal. Of course you can use the old standby of wrapping a wet rag around the regular solder joint if there is room. Be aware that the rag can dry out amazingly fast and catch fire. I usually fill and old dish soap battle with water and you can squirt it to keep the rag wet. I have to do that when I'm working around shut off valves, pressure switches and expansion valves so you don't ruin the seats and seals.