Re: [loopantennas] RE: Select-A-Tenna

  • Richards
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 6, 2005
      So... take it apart and see... and tell us... send photos....
      I would LOVE to know... You cannot void the warranty
      if you have had it that long....

      ////////////////////// Richards ////////////////
      =================================

      Irv Ambler wrote:

      >Hi All,
      >
      > Has anyone ever taken a 'Select-A-Tenna' apart?
      >I have had one for years, and had always wondered all of the above!

    • Jay Heyl
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 6, 2005
        On 7/6/05, Irv Ambler <iambler@...> wrote:

        > -Is it similiar to a Loop Antenna?

        It IS a loop antenna. The tuning knob is connected to a variable
        capacitor. No magic, other than what I still think of as the magic of
        the loop antenna.

        -- Jay
      • Richards
        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 6, 2005
          Yeah.... I got into radios, computers, cameras,
          speech recognition gear, and other electronic toys
          because I could not keep my hands out of all that
          stuff as a kid.

          The only difference is that now I can afford to mess
          stuff up and either replace it or have it fixed by someone
          who REALLY knows what I am doing!

          Just my take. /////////// Richards ////////////
          =====================================

          c.e.boyd wrote:

          >only if you don't want to have the fun of tearing into
          >the beast with vigor and enthusiasm. Good listening: theboyd

        • Sarge
          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 6, 2005
            I suspect some type of Wiccan crystal or maybe something salvaged from the
            Roswell crash of '47.
          • Steve Baker
            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 6, 2005
              Irv when you tear it apart keep your hands away from
              the flux capacitor. It can store jigga watts of power.

              --- Irv Ambler <iambler@...> wrote:

              > Hi All,
              >
              > Has anyone ever taken a 'Select-A-Tenna' apart?
              > What IS inside this little 'marvel of modern
              > science', anyway?
              > -Just a bunch of wire windings, or what?
              > -Just what "makes it tick", anyway?
              > -Is it similiar to a Loop Antenna?
              >
              > I have had one for years, and had always wondered
              > all of the above!
              >
              > Thanks, and,
              > 73 to all!
              >
              > Irv Ambler
              > New Fairfield, CT

              http://auctions.yahoo.com/
            • Steve
              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 6, 2005
                --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, "Sarge" <sarge43@e...> wrote:

                > I suspect some type of Wiccan crystal or maybe something salvaged
                from the
                > Roswell crash of '47.

                Orgone! It's loaded with orgone.
              • Richards
                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 7, 2005
                  Does anyone know what kind of capacitor? It would
                  be useful in trying to make one myself... Or... do I need
                  to get the Patent papers on it....

                  I suppose with the recent Supreme Court decisions concerning
                  what is "interstate commerce" that I will be sued and taxed and
                  put into jail for trying to make something similar...

                  ///////////////// Richards //////////////

                  Jay Heyl wrote:

                  >It IS a loop antenna. The tuning knob is connected to a variable
                  >capacitor. No magic, other than what I still think of as the magic of
                  >the loop antenna.

                • c.e.boyd
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jul 7, 2005
                    Hi: The common size capacitor is cannibalized from an old tube receiver. It
                    is usually of the 365 pf size. Hope this is what you were looking for. Good
                    listening: theboyd
                    > Does anyone know what kind of capacitor? It would
                    > be useful in trying to make one myself... Or... do I need
                    > to get the Patent papers on it....
                    >
                    > I suppose with the recent Supreme Court decisions concerning
                    > what is "interstate commerce" that I will be sued and taxed and
                    > put into jail for trying to make something similar...
                    >
                    > ///////////////// Richards //////////////
                    >
                    > Jay Heyl wrote:
                    >
                    > >It IS a loop antenna. The tuning knob is connected to a variable
                    > >capacitor. No magic, other than what I still think of as the magic of
                    > >the loop antenna.
                  • Jay Heyl
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jul 7, 2005
                      On 7/7/05, Richards <jruing@...> wrote:
                      > Does anyone know what kind of capacitor? It would
                      > be useful in trying to make one myself... Or... do I need
                      > to get the Patent papers on it....

                      There are dozens of loop antenna designs available on the internet. A
                      standard 365pF air variable capacitor will do you fine. These used to
                      be readily available in old radios, but those days are gone. Today you
                      will probably have to buy one new. One source is here:
                      http://www.oselectronics.com/ose_p96.htm. I just mention this as an
                      example. There are several other sources, though the prices here look
                      reasonable. Something like the 1 Gang Broadcast Variable Capacitor is
                      what you're looking for.

                      Aside from the capacitor, you need some wire and a frame. An old
                      pizza box will work in a pinch. Designs vary from the simple, like
                      the pizza box, to the complex, like the 4-foot dual loop balanced
                      design available from the National Radio Club. Check the resources
                      available with this group or just Google loop antennas. I'm sure
                      you'll find lots of ideas.

                      -- Jay
                    • Richards
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jul 7, 2005
                        THANKS -- I am building a small loop antenna and that is
                        exactly wnat I need. ///////////// JHR ///////////////
                        ===================================

                        Message 11 of 17 , Jul 7, 2005
                          You read my mind exactly. I have settled upon a design made from PVC
                          pipe and the only metal object used will be the air capacitor and
                          possibly a loan the terminal or two. Otherwise, just wire and PVC pipe
                          to minimize metal within the loop. I'll post a photo after I finish
                          construction and figure out if it works.

                          Thank you for the advice. //// Richards ////
                          =====================================

                          Jay Heyl wrote:

                          >There are dozens of loop antenna designs available on the internet. A
                          >standard 365pF air variable capacitor will do you fine.

                        • Darren Hennig
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jul 8, 2005
                            Any loop of sufficient size and inductance with a variable capacitor across
                            it's terminals can work to couple the RF energy inductively to a radio.

                            I found that I prefer VVC [varactor tuning diodes] to tune over air
                            variables. No moving parts, except a potentiometer. If anyone is interested,
                            I have several battery-powered circuits that permit single and multi-gang
                            equivalent performance to air variables. They work really well, are fairly
                            simple, and can be put on a small circuit board or "dead-bug" style layout
                            for projects.

                            I prefer the NTE618 varactors - they have very nice loaded Qs of ~200-250,
                            more if the circuit is done carefully, and they have a very nice ~40-540pF
                            range, using a 9V battery for reverse bias.

                            Darren.