Re: [loopantennas] RE: Select-A-Tenna

  • c.e.boyd
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 6, 2005
      Hi again: Irv, if there's a patent number that you can see on the back or
      bottom of the unit, just do a patent search and you'll see what the drawings
      have to say. This is only if you don't want to have the fun of tearing into
      the beast with vigor and enthusiasm. Good listening: theboyd
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 6, 2005
        So... take it apart and see... and tell us... send photos....
        I would LOVE to know... You cannot void the warranty
        if you have had it that long....

        ////////////////////// Richards ////////////////
        =================================

        Irv Ambler wrote:

        >Hi All,
        >
        > Has anyone ever taken a 'Select-A-Tenna' apart?
        >I have had one for years, and had always wondered all of the above!

      • Jay Heyl
        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 6, 2005
          On 7/6/05, Irv Ambler <iambler@...> wrote:

          > -Is it similiar to a Loop Antenna?

          It IS a loop antenna. The tuning knob is connected to a variable
          capacitor. No magic, other than what I still think of as the magic of
          the loop antenna.

          -- Jay
        • Richards
          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 6, 2005
            Yeah.... I got into radios, computers, cameras,
            speech recognition gear, and other electronic toys
            because I could not keep my hands out of all that
            stuff as a kid.

            The only difference is that now I can afford to mess
            stuff up and either replace it or have it fixed by someone
            who REALLY knows what I am doing!

            Just my take. /////////// Richards ////////////
            =====================================

            c.e.boyd wrote:

            >only if you don't want to have the fun of tearing into
            >the beast with vigor and enthusiasm. Good listening: theboyd

          • Sarge
            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 6, 2005
              I suspect some type of Wiccan crystal or maybe something salvaged from the
              Roswell crash of '47.
            • Steve Baker
              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 6, 2005
                Irv when you tear it apart keep your hands away from
                the flux capacitor. It can store jigga watts of power.

                --- Irv Ambler <iambler@...> wrote:

                > Hi All,
                >
                > Has anyone ever taken a 'Select-A-Tenna' apart?
                > What IS inside this little 'marvel of modern
                > science', anyway?
                > -Just a bunch of wire windings, or what?
                > -Just what "makes it tick", anyway?
                > -Is it similiar to a Loop Antenna?
                >
                > I have had one for years, and had always wondered
                > all of the above!
                >
                > Thanks, and,
                > 73 to all!
                >
                > Irv Ambler
                > New Fairfield, CT

                http://auctions.yahoo.com/
              • Steve
                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 6, 2005
                  --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, "Sarge" <sarge43@e...> wrote:

                  > I suspect some type of Wiccan crystal or maybe something salvaged
                  from the
                  > Roswell crash of '47.

                  Orgone! It's loaded with orgone.
                • Richards
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jul 7, 2005
                    Does anyone know what kind of capacitor? It would
                    be useful in trying to make one myself... Or... do I need
                    to get the Patent papers on it....

                    I suppose with the recent Supreme Court decisions concerning
                    what is "interstate commerce" that I will be sued and taxed and
                    put into jail for trying to make something similar...

                    ///////////////// Richards //////////////

                    Jay Heyl wrote:

                    >It IS a loop antenna. The tuning knob is connected to a variable
                    >capacitor. No magic, other than what I still think of as the magic of
                    >the loop antenna.

                  • c.e.boyd
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jul 7, 2005
                      Hi: The common size capacitor is cannibalized from an old tube receiver. It
                      is usually of the 365 pf size. Hope this is what you were looking for. Good
                      listening: theboyd
                      > Does anyone know what kind of capacitor? It would
                      > be useful in trying to make one myself... Or... do I need
                      > to get the Patent papers on it....
                      >
                      > I suppose with the recent Supreme Court decisions concerning
                      > what is "interstate commerce" that I will be sued and taxed and
                      > put into jail for trying to make something similar...
                      >
                      > ///////////////// Richards //////////////
                      >
                      > Jay Heyl wrote:
                      >
                      > >It IS a loop antenna. The tuning knob is connected to a variable
                      > >capacitor. No magic, other than what I still think of as the magic of
                      > >the loop antenna.
                    • Jay Heyl
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jul 7, 2005
                        On 7/7/05, Richards <jruing@...> wrote:
                        > Does anyone know what kind of capacitor? It would
                        > be useful in trying to make one myself... Or... do I need
                        > to get the Patent papers on it....

                        There are dozens of loop antenna designs available on the internet. A
                        standard 365pF air variable capacitor will do you fine. These used to
                        be readily available in old radios, but those days are gone. Today you
                        will probably have to buy one new. One source is here:
                        http://www.oselectronics.com/ose_p96.htm. I just mention this as an
                        example. There are several other sources, though the prices here look
                        reasonable. Something like the 1 Gang Broadcast Variable Capacitor is
                        what you're looking for.

                        Aside from the capacitor, you need some wire and a frame. An old
                        pizza box will work in a pinch. Designs vary from the simple, like
                        the pizza box, to the complex, like the 4-foot dual loop balanced
                        design available from the National Radio Club. Check the resources
                        available with this group or just Google loop antennas. I'm sure
                        you'll find lots of ideas.

                        -- Jay
                      • Richards
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jul 7, 2005
                          THANKS -- I am building a small loop antenna and that is
                          exactly wnat I need. ///////////// JHR ///////////////
                          ===================================

                          Message 12 of 17 , Jul 7, 2005
                            You read my mind exactly. I have settled upon a design made from PVC
                            pipe and the only metal object used will be the air capacitor and
                            possibly a loan the terminal or two. Otherwise, just wire and PVC pipe
                            to minimize metal within the loop. I'll post a photo after I finish
                            construction and figure out if it works.

                            Thank you for the advice. //// Richards ////
                            =====================================

                            Jay Heyl wrote:

                            >There are dozens of loop antenna designs available on the internet. A
                            >standard 365pF air variable capacitor will do you fine.

                          • Darren Hennig
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jul 8, 2005
                              Any loop of sufficient size and inductance with a variable capacitor across
                              it's terminals can work to couple the RF energy inductively to a radio.

                              I found that I prefer VVC [varactor tuning diodes] to tune over air
                              variables. No moving parts, except a potentiometer. If anyone is interested,
                              I have several battery-powered circuits that permit single and multi-gang
                              equivalent performance to air variables. They work really well, are fairly
                              simple, and can be put on a small circuit board or "dead-bug" style layout
                              for projects.

                              I prefer the NTE618 varactors - they have very nice loaded Qs of ~200-250,
                              more if the circuit is done carefully, and they have a very nice ~40-540pF
                              range, using a 9V battery for reverse bias.

                              Darren.