Re: LARGE vertical loop

  • Fred
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 6, 2011
      Here ya go Brian found this for you:

      http://web.archive.org/web/20070203063640/www.bloomington.in.us/~wh2t/Super+Loop+Antenna.htm

      73's
      Fred

      --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, "Fred" <n5jzb@...> wrote:

      > Brian remember that most tuners have a built in 4:1 balun for 300 or 450 ohm feed line. Now if you have a balanced tuner like say the old Johnson Match Box you can get away from balun use altogether.
      > You might want to goggle vertical loop antennas and see what comes up, I was somewhat surprised at the amount of information that was there.
      >
      > 73's
      > Fred
      >

      > --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, M HOLDEN <mholden909@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Over the years, my horizontal loops, at never more than 20 feet in the air, have served me well. To make them work as multi-band antennas, feed them straight in with 300 or 450 ohm line, NEVER use coax cable as it only works at ONE impedance! A good tuner will get you on all the bands, and avoid using a balun unless you intend to cook eggs while you transmit. Treat it as a doublet and tune in the same way. My present loop is 188Ft 6ins circumference and fed with 300 ohm slotted ribbon. It works well on 80 through 10 even though it was only originally meant for 60M. A loop like this is electrically quiet as local spits and sparks are noise cancelled.
      > > Given the space, a 283 footer or even a 566 footer will put any station on the map big time.
      > > Regards to all, Mike G4HOL

    • Brian Burns
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 7, 2011
        Hello Fred,

        Thanks for the link-duly bookmarked. Here is an excellent link for general
        loop info in case you haven't run across it:

        http://mysite.verizon.net/ka1fsb/loopants.html#shapesize

        Hello Andy,

        The general discussion of loop antennas at the link above makes no mention
        of a vertical loop's working only on one or two bands.

        And here is an interesting quote from his article:

        "It should be noted that horizontal loops can only transmit in the
        horizontal plane. And that vertical loops can be fed in such a way as to
        either effect horizontal polarization or vertical polarization depending on
        how (i.e., where) they are fed. If a vertically oriented antenna is fed at
        either the bottom or the top, the polarization will be horizontal; if fed on
        the side or bottom corner, it will be vertical. If you are going to the
        trouble of putting up a large vertical loop, be sure to feed it to take
        advantage of the low angle of radiation mentioned above!"

        He is recommending feeding it at the side or corner for vertical
        polarization-- "to take advantage of the low angle of radiation mentioned
        above!"

        Another aspect of the vertical loop as mentioned in an earlier post by
        Steve:

        "Large vertical loops that are 1 wavelength in circumference have a low
        angle take off and do well for DX only on the fundamental frequency. A 270'
        vert. loop would do fine on 80m but on harmonics the angle would increase
        which is normally the opposite of what you would want."

        So, my question is, does feeding a vertical loop at the top or bottom for
        horizontal polarization make for the desirable lower take off angles on the
        higher bands as with a horizontal loop? I'm going to all this trouble
        because my antenna site is ideal for a very large vertical loop, and is a
        lousy site for a horizontal one.

        I would ask KA1FSB directly if I had an email for him. Anybody know it, or
        how to find it? I tried QRZ.

        Cheers,

        Brian

        .

        <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=12851910/grpspId=1708396379/msgI
        d=8246/stime=1297019361/nc1=4025321/nc2=5898817/nc3=4507179>