Re: [loopantennas] untuned amplified magnetic loop

  • john nelson
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 1, 2005
      What is the point of having a loop and whip antenna
      connected together. In this configuration you would
      be sensing the magnetic and electrical fields at the
      same time. I thought the point of a loop was to avoid
      the electrical altogether. Probably the text explains
      this but my German isn't good enough to figure it out.

      John Nelson

      --- "C. Beijersbergen" <c.beijersbergen@...>
      wrote:

      > Look at:
      > http://www.elexs.de/drm6.htm
      >

      > It is in german, but the pictures and the schematic
      > make it very clear.
      >
      > Cor Beijersbergen van Henegouwen

      Yahoo! Sports
      http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com
    • g kwitka
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 1, 2005
        my thoughts exactly defeats the purpose of this.
        Thsi circuit is based on a RDF circuit i saw in the
        arrl handbook several years ago. The whip is for the
        electrical field

        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 1, 2005
          Thank you very much for the info. will get to wrk on
          it asap.

          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 1, 2005

            wrote:

            > Look at:
            > http://www.elexs.de/drm6.htm
            >

            > It is in german, but the pictures and the schematic
            > make it very clear.
            >
            > Cor Beijersbergen van Henegouwen

            Yahoo! Sports
            http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com
          • C. Beijersbergen
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 1, 2005
              You could leave out the whip antenna altogether. It is intended here tot reduce the two nulls of the loop antenna tot just one null by adding both signals together. It is nice for direction finding fot instance.

              If interested I could provide you with a translation of the essential parts of the text.

              Cor Beijersbergen van Henegouwen
            • Henry Kolesnik
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 1, 2005
                Hi Cor
                I'd like to see all the translation there is.
                tnx

                73
                Hank WD5JFR
                You could leave out the whip antenna altogether. It is intended here tot reduce the two nulls of the loop antenna tot just one null by adding both signals together. It is nice for direction finding fot instance.

                If interested I could provide you with a translation of the essential parts of the text.

                Cor Beijersbergen van Henegouwen

                If you've got links, post them in the Links section!

                For uploading images, I prefer the Files section since Photos only allows everyone (except the uploader and moderators) to see a max of 300x400.

                Put them in the appropriate folder, or create one.

              • Jim Dunstan
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 1, 2005
                  At 06:34 AM 7/1/2005 -0700, you wrote:
                  What is the point of having a loop and whip antenna
                  connected together.  In this configuration you would
                  be sensing the magnetic and electrical fields at the
                  same time.  I thought the point of a loop was to avoid
                  the electrical altogether.  Probably the text explains
                  this but my German isn't good enough to figure it out.

                  John Nelson

                  The combination is for direction finding.  The circular pattern of the whip in combination with the figure eight of the loop will provide a single a pattern that will show one direction rather than two.

                  Jim Dunstan
                  Thunder Bay, ON

                • john nelson
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 1, 2005
                    Right after I sent the question, I realized that it
                    was a RDF antenna. I know that it works but exactly
                    how does it work? Something to do with the phase
                    relationships of the H and E fields?

                    John Nelson

                    --- Jim Dunstan <jimdunstan@...> wrote:

                    > At 06:34 AM 7/1/2005 -0700, you wrote:
                    > >What is the point of having a loop and whip antenna
                    > >connected together. In this configuration you
                    > would
                    > >be sensing the magnetic and electrical fields at
                    > the
                    > >same time. I thought the point of a loop was to
                    > avoid
                    > >the electrical altogether. Probably the text
                    > explains
                    > >this but my German isn't good enough to figure it
                    > out.
                    > >
                    > >John Nelson
                    >
                    > The combination is for direction finding. The
                    > circular pattern of the whip
                    > in combination with the figure eight of the loop
                    > will provide a single a
                    > pattern that will show one direction rather than
                    > two.
                    >

                    > Jim Dunstan
                    > Thunder Bay, ON

                    Yahoo! Mail Mobile