Re: Loop receive direction

  • Philip
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 10, 2010
      Thanks Steve

      Never done much with loops so looking forward
      to making an amplified non tuned one for my Softrock Ensemble RX set up...

      Regards
      Philip

      --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, STEVE MCDONALD <ve7sl@...> wrote:

      > Philip - maximum pickup will be along the plane (edge) of the loop with minimum pickup broadside (facing) the loop.
      >
      > Steve
      >

      > > Hi
      > > Which is the strongest reception direction of a circular loop...
      > >
      > > Face on to the source or edge on to the source?
      > >

      > > Thanks
      > > Regards
      > > Philip

      > > You can now view images at higher resolution in Photos. Upload
      > > JPG and GIF into Photos. Please convert BMP or TIF to JPG or GIF
      > > before uploading.
      > >
      > > And please trim all this when replying!Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Andy
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 10, 2010
        > Which is the strongest reception direction of a circular loop...

        That depends.

        For a full size one-wavelength loop, maximum is perpendicular
        (broadside) to the loop, with no signal in the plane of the loop.

        For an electrically small loop (much less than a wavelength in
        circumference), maximum is in the plane of the loop with no signal
        broadside to the loop ... exactly the opposite.

        For a loop that is much larger than one wavelength, maximum signal
        tends to tilt over *towards* edgewise again, but never reaching it.
        For practical large loops, the maximum tends to be somewhere in the
        middle between edgewise and broadside.

        And of course you have interaction with the ground and other objects nearby.

        Andy
      • Jack Smith
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 10, 2010
          And, that assumes ground wave, as the pattern may be different - at
          least for small loops - when the arrival angle is well above the horizon.

          Jack K8ZOA

          On 12/10/2010 10:26 AM, Andy wrote:

          > > Which is the strongest reception direction of a circular loop...
          >
          > That depends.
          >
          > For a full size one-wavelength loop, maximum is perpendicular
          > (broadside) to the loop, with no signal in the plane of the loop.
          >
          > For an electrically small loop (much less than a wavelength in
          > circumference), maximum is in the plane of the loop with no signal
          > broadside to the loop ... exactly the opposite.
          >
          > For a loop that is much larger than one wavelength, maximum signal
          > tends to tilt over *towards* edgewise again, but never reaching it.
          > For practical large loops, the maximum tends to be somewhere in the
          > middle between edgewise and broadside.
          >
          > And of course you have interaction with the ground and other objects
          > nearby.
          >
          > Andy

        • Philip
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 10, 2010
            That's interesting...

            My loop will be an untuned but amplified single turn loop
            of about 2 meters diameter so it looks like edge on to the
            source will be best then, given it will be used for HF bands?