Faraday Loop Questions

  • Neil
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 2, 2010
      I have a few questions regarding the Faraday loop method of feeding a magnetic loop antenna.

      1. I understand that the loop needs to be about 1/5 of the diameter of the main loop. What is the theory behind this?

      2. What are the advantages of using a Faraday loop over a simple loop of wire?

      3. Does the feed point of the Faraday loop need to be adjacent to the main loop? Does it make any difference if the feeder connection is towards the centre of the main loop?

      Neil
      G7AQK
    • la7sja
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 3, 2010
        1. Impedance
        2. The Faradays loop only picks up the current in the tuned loop (i.e. primary the loops tuned frequency all others are more shielded).
        3. Simplified answer, the same as nr.1

        PS English is my third language (after Norwegian and Thai)
        LA7SJA MScEE

        --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, "Neil" <fast.electrics@...> wrote:

        > I have a few questions regarding the Faraday loop method of feeding a magnetic loop antenna.
        >
        > 1. I understand that the loop needs to be about 1/5 of the diameter of the main loop. What is the theory behind this?
        >
        > 2. What are the advantages of using a Faraday loop over a simple loop of wire?
        >
        > 3. Does the feed point of the Faraday loop need to be adjacent to the main loop? Does it make any difference if the feeder connection is towards the centre of the main loop?
        >
        > Neil
        > G7AQK

      • Chris Trask
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 3, 2010

          > PS English is my third language (after Norwegian and Thai)

          Now that is a combination of language competency that I would not
          anticipate. Norwegian and English yes, but how did you end up being
          competent in Thai?

          Chris

          LA7SJA MScEE
        • la7sja