40M to 10M Loop

  • sanwalbv
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 29, 2005
      I have become very interested in Loop amtenna design and theory. I
      would appreciate any design Info. for a 40 to 10 loop.
      W0OGN
    • tim smith
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 29, 2005
        good antenna...if you make a full wave loop,cut for 40,and feed it with ladder line,and tune it with an outboard tuner,you will do great.it will cover all bands,and have alot of gain,the higher you go in freq.do not coax feed it,as it will only work on 40/15 and 6. the size of the loop will be about 130ft total.you can have it as a square loop,delta loop,or a square/retangle,parallel to the ground. if you mount it parallel to the ground,at say,30 ft or so,it will a good local antenna for 40m. if you mount it as a square box,with 2 supports,or as a delta loop,you have the option of feeding it for horizontal,or vertical polarization. vertical is best for long haul stuff,but wont receive locals within 400 miles so well...if you want to feed it with coax,you might be able to tune it on the other bands,but it wont be effective,as your tuner will eat up alot of rf.,and only satisfy you transmitter's finals. this is why the open wire version is the best. do you have room for a loop for 80 metres? this loop would be abt 260ft of total wire.and,it will work on all bands,from 80-6 metres. let us know what you plan to do.

          73..tim..sk..

        sanwalbv <wprill@...> wrote:
        I have become very interested in Loop amtenna design and theory. I
        would appreciate any design Info. for a 40 to 10 loop.
        W0OGN

        If you've got links, post them in the Links section!

        For uploading images, I prefer the Files section since Photos only allows everyone (except the uploader and moderators) to see a max of 300x400.

        Put them in the appropriate folder, or create one.

        http://mail.yahoo.com

      • Wally Prill
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 29, 2005
          Tim, I live in CCR community, and have limited space. I have seen pictures of loop antennas that work 40/10, and only 72" across. But at the time I didn't keep the article, not knowing I would like it now. MFJ has a 36" loop, that a club member has on his RV, and says it works great when he travels. But $425.00 is to much, I would rather build my own.
          73..Wally.

          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 29, 2005
            ok wally... didnt know you had restrctions..ok,how much room do you have for any antenna?.is there some kind of yard you have?..these will help in determining what you can do...the problem with these loops,is they really dont work that well..ya,you might get some contacts,but for the price,it likely isnt worth it..so let me know how much space you have,outside.,attic,whatver you can think of...balconey?..73..tim..sk..

            sanwalbv <wprill@...> wrote:
            I have become very interested in Loop amtenna design and theory. I
            would appreciate any design Info. for a 40 to 10 loop.
            W0OGN

            If you've got links, post them in the Links section!

            For uploading images, I prefer the Files section since Photos only allows everyone (except the uploader and moderators) to see a max of 300x400.

            Put them in the appropriate folder, or create one.

            For uploading images, I prefer the Files section since Photos only allows everyone (except the uploader and moderators) to see a max of 300x400.

            Put them in the appropriate folder, or create one.

            If you've got links, post them in the Links section!

            For uploading images, I prefer the Files section since Photos only allows everyone (except the uploader and moderators) to see a max of 300x400.

            Put them in the appropriate folder, or create one.

            Yahoo! Sports
          • dldorrance
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 29, 2005
              Hi Wally,

              You could use some help in designing this loop, which is quite
              feasible. Look for the small loop calculator program loopcalc.zip on
              the following site:
              http://www.alan.melia.btinternet.co.uk/programs.htm

              Plug in your parameters. I would suggest using 3/4 inch ID copper
              pipe as the conductor (wate pipe, hardware store item). All joints
              should be soldered. You will probably need a vacuum variable
              capacitor to tune the range you are looking for (tuning range 11 to
              300 pf). And you will want to obtain a DC gear motor to tune the
              vacuum variable. Check eBAY. There are many small loop sites on the
              internet. Search "small loop antenna" and "magnetic loop antenna".

              The shape can be anything from a square (6 feet per side) to an
              octagon. The closer to a circle the higher the efficiency (see the
              calculator)

              Match the low Z of the loop to 50 ohms with a sense loop, the diamter
              of which is 1/5 that of the big loop.

              Good luck.

              Dave WA6YSO

              Service.

            • Wally Prill
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 30, 2005
                Tim, I could a 6' loop up in the back yard at about 15'.

                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 30, 2005
                  Hi  Dave. The octagon would be my choice. Tnx for the program.

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 5, 2005
                    Tim, I am looking at building a 64" OD octagon loop. It is feed by a Faraday loop, and resonated with a vacuum variable (expensive) capacitor. As I understand it. it works good 40-10, and marginal on 80. The cost to build it, with a motor to turn the capacitor, would be about $150.00. If it works as well as the artical by a Ham that built ane uses one, not a bad cost for an all band antenna.
                    73..Wally..sk
                    I put in an sk too.

                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 25, 2005
                      On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 12:18:22 -0700 (PDT), tim smith <ve6pg@...> wrote:

                      > do you have room for a loop
                      > for 80
                      > metres? this loop would be abt 260ft of total wire.and,it will work on all bands,from 80-6 metres. let us know what you plan to do.

                      could the loop be doubled/redoubled on its supports?

                      iow, I could put up a few 20 ft joints of 3" sched 80 or SS/AL tubing around my
                      chain link fenceline/yard perimeter which is about 50'x 70' usable. so, about
                      240' max, preferably smaller to confine it to the backyard and to keep it out of
                      the front yard trees and shrubs.

                      could I use stand offs/separators between runs of this loop in order to get 180'
                      or 400' or whatever? thus, run a loop, then drop the next loop a foot and run
                      it around then so on ??? using Alfa-Delta separators or insulated 10ga solid
                      between the loops to maintain dimension??

                      or must this be a single horizontal loop?
                      Presently using a DX-CC SW-NE 40' on mast, 20' on NE, 30' on SW...

                      73s
                      chas
                      --
                      K5DAM Houston EL29fu