...I.A.N.E....

  • Irv Ambler
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 27, 2005
      Hi Group,

      What the HECK does I.A.N.E., or "I Ain't No Elmer" MEAN, anyway???
      That's all for this time.

      -I JUST HAD to ask this question.

      Irv Ambler
      New Fairfield, CT USA
    • c.e.boyd
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 27, 2005
        Hi Irv: "I ain't no Elmer" means that the person doesn't wish to be a mentor
        to anyone regarding ham radio. Good listening: theboyd
        > What the HECK does I.A.N.E., or "I Ain't No Elmer" MEAN, anyway???
        > That's all for this time.
        >
        > -I JUST HAD to ask this question.
        >
        > Irv Ambler
        > New Fairfield, CT USA
      • larry
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 27, 2005
          I have been reading and maybe even hearing this term used over the past decade, maybe...When I was new to ham radio, I thought of myself as a beginner....It wasn't until I was asked to help teach the theory at the ham club I belonged to that I finally thought of myself as an experienced amateur and stopped thinking of myself as a beginner....... thanks for the memories...
          Larry
          ve3fxq

          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 5, 2005
            IA,

            For me what the SIG 'iane' is about :

            'iane' is as simple as the fact that I am not an
            Licesened Amateur (Ham) Operator; and have never
            had the desire to be one.

            'iane' is an acknowledgement that I am not the most
            techincal person and I do not get into or go into a
            great deal of "Theory" concerning Antennnas.
            Note - Usually I will read and try to understand
            any theory that is posted by persons related to most
            topics posted.

            'iane' means that my efforts are directed mainly to
            Shortwave Listeners (SWLs) and are simply to provide
            a practical (do-able) descriptive answer with a
            reference or two (Link/URL) for the SWL to seek out
            more information or greater details.

            'iane' keeps me focused on the simple reality that the
            majority of Shortwave Listeners (SWLs) generally want
            to know "What Do I Do" and 'What Do I Need To Buy" to
            make my Radio work better and improve my listening
            experience. For many SWls 'no theory is required'
            and often is a turn-off for them.

            'iane' reminds me : "A Man's Got To Know His Limits !"

            'iane' to me is about "KISAP"
            Keeping It Simple And Practical [.]

            hope this helps ~ RHF
            and yes "RHF" are my initials