Wellbrook ALA 100 loop

  • jasonwell9657
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 4, 2010
      Hello

      I have recently installed this antenna with disappointing results.

      I used 3mm pvc covered stranded copper wire strung 2.5m above the ground. Would I be better off using plain solid copper wire not pvc covered stranded ?

      Regards to all

      Jason
    • Mike Mayer
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 4, 2010
        The wire or insulation should not ne a problem. When you say disappointing
        results are you comparing it to a different antenna? I do not have
        experience with the ALA 100 but my understanding is that it should be very
        quiet, so make sure you are judging it on signal to noise ratio instead of
        the straight output level.

        Mike Mayer
        mwmayer@...
        I have recently installed this antenna with disappointing results.

        I used 3mm pvc covered stranded copper wire strung 2.5m above the ground.
        Would I be better off using plain solid copper wire not pvc covered stranded
        ?

        Regards to all

        Jason

        You can now view images at higher resolution in Photos. Upload JPG and GIF
        into Photos. Please convert BMP or TIF to JPG or GIF before uploading.

        And please trim all this when replying!Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Craig D. Smith
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 4, 2010
          Can you be more descriptive than "2.5 meters above the ground"? What are
          the DIMENSIONS and shape of the loop??

          73 Craig AC0DS
        • Don
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 4, 2010
            Hi Jason,

            I installed an ALA-100 a few months ago and it is now my main E/W antenna for Dxing NDB's. Performance is equal to the PA0RDT as far as signal strength. This is
            usually a very quiet antenna except for occasional man made junk/rubbish RF.

            My loop is a rectangle 32ft long x 12ft high (88ft circumference) in a fixed position with the bottom wire 3ft above the ground and the antenna module mounted on a
            short pole in the center of the bottom wires. I used these dimensions which are slightly greater than what Wellbrook recommends as I had two supports that were
            already in place 32ft apart. The wire I use is normal insulation 20ga stranded. Normally in my experience the type/size of wire doesn't matter much for receive
            antennas except for the obvious mechanical strength and mixing of different materials that could cause corrosion. I have also insured that 12vdc is at the ALA-100
            Antenna module through a 100ft run of coax. I have also installed a 7ft RF ground stake in the ground near the antennas and common mode chokes on all coax ends.

            Would be interested in what you mean by disappointing results??? If you can't resolve the problem you may want to contact Andy Akin at Wellbrook. I wish I had
            installed this antenna sooner! Hope to reach 1000 logs by the New Year!

            Don
            Upland, CA
            34.10 -117.63 1250ft ASL
            2x R-75 w/250Hz R-71A w/250Hz R-70