Re: Foil based loop antennas

  • capntripps2000
    Message 1 of 16 , May 1, 2010
      I've used 1/4" self sticking copper foil used for stained glass work for quick magnetic loop antennas setup in hotel rooms. These run aorund $5 for a 60ft spool. I would run the foil along the hotel window spaced several inches inside the metal window frame. I used gamma matching at the bottom of the loop to match to the coax and a wide spaced air variable capacitor at the top where I split the foil. Using a battery operated soldering iron I tack soldered the wire connections to the foil. I also keep an assortment of capacitors in my bag in case I need to pad the tuning cap. Using up to 20 watts I worked 20-40M CW with good results. I've even worked as low as 80M if the window was large enough and also had surprisingly good results. When ready to check out of the hotel the foil comes off the window easily with no residue and I discard the foil in the trash.

      Stealthy and effective!

      Andrew
      N3LCW

      --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, "sean" <bitterlemon40@...> wrote:

      > I was thinking of making a loop antenna using copper foil. My understanding is that 100mm copper foil would be equivalent to 50mm copper pipe. However there is some talk about 'current crowding' at the edges of the foil.
    • xtemporize
      Message 2 of 16 , May 1, 2010
        CQ magazine for April 1967 has an article "Skin Effect in High
        Frequency Design". I quote: "The values from the graph (fig. 1)
        represent the depth at which currents will be reduced to 1/e (where
        e=2.302) of the surface currents, and it is customary to provide for at
        least 5 times the skin depth shown. For all practical purposes, 5 times is close to 100% conduction." The graph with the article is quite small,but it looks like the basic value for copper is 1 mil and for
        aluminum, 2 mil. So if I interpret this correctly and the article is
        true, 5 mils would suffice for copper, and 10 mil for aluminum. That
        would seem to make copper foil usable. Aluminum foil, I suppose you
        would have to use a much larger width to lower the overall AC resistance. I have thought about making a loop from plastics plumbing
        pipe, and then somehow covering it with copper foil, like maybe a couple
        lengths stretched along the whole length of the pipe, the loop being
        built in a square. I wonder how solderable this copper foil is, if at
        all. I found my two rolls of copper foil in a garbage dumpster after
        some kind of constructon job ( we have a very wasteful country ) but I
        think it is also sold for use in stained-glass hobby projects. Aluminum foil comes in widths up to maybe 18 inches and not expensive at all
        so maybe it could be used somehow. You would have to build some
        kind of box-like framework to attach it to, something looking kind of
        like a box kite. -Hue Miller / Newport, Oregon, USA
      • Jim Dunstan
        Message 3 of 16 , May 1, 2010
          At 12:37 AM 5/2/2010 +0000, you wrote:

          >I've used 1/4" self sticking copper foil used for stained glass work for
          >quick magnetic loop antennas setup in hotel rooms. These run aorund $5 for
          >a 60ft spool. I would run the foil along the hotel window spaced several
          >inches inside the metal window frame. I used gamma matching at the bottom
          >of the loop to match to the coax and a wide spaced air variable capacitor
          >at the top where I split the foil. Using a battery operated soldering iron
          >I tack soldered the wire connections to the foil. I also keep an
          >assortment of capacitors in my bag in case I need to pad the tuning cap.
          >Using up to 20 watts I worked 20-40M CW with good results. I've even
          >worked as low as 80M if the window was large enough and also had
          >surprisingly good results. When ready to check out of the hotel the foil
          >comes off the window easily with no residue and I discard the foil in the
          >trash.
          >
          >Stealthy and effective!
          >
          >Andrew
          >N3LCW

          Hi Andrew

          A great idea. I'm going to practice on the front picture window! By the
          way ... who caries the copper foil tape ?

          Thanks,

          Jim, VE3CI
        • xtemporize
          Message 4 of 16 , May 1, 2010
            The foil I found in the trash is 2 inch width. Pretty nice stuff.
            Interesting the idea of the disposable loop antenna using narrower
            stuff. Now re "current crowding", back around the late 1970s when
            AEA (company ) was offering a loop antenna built on a metallic band
            or stip, this may have been the reason MFJ company touted their loop
            antenna as being more efficient than a model not using a cylindrical
            conductor. Now that AEA is gone, I don't recall seeing MFJ advertisement
            text that still claims this advantage, since there's not really any
            competition. -Hue Miller
          • xtemporize
            Message 5 of 16 , May 1, 2010
              It occurred to me that I could try a "proof of concept" experiment by
              taking a large cardboard box from a moving company, and running a strip
              of aluminum foil around it. That would be a strip around 12 inches or more wide. I wonder if she high voltage developed would be a fire hazard
              with the cardboard? At least it would be safe at low powers. I recall
              once many years ago, trying to run a 80 meters, 100 watt transmitter
              into a short indoor antenna, made of aluminum foil by the way, and
              setting the window curtain on fire, from the high voltage flashover.
              -Hue Miller
            • Brent G DeWitt
              Message 6 of 16 , May 1, 2010
                Your local home improvement store probably has copper tape as "slug tape".
                The adhesive isn't conductive like EMI/EMC tape from 3M, but it's a lot more
                available.

                73,

                Brent - AB1LF

                Message 7 of 16 , May 2, 2010
                  I bought several foil rolls on Ebay but they can also be found in arts and crafts stores that carry stained glass supplies. I found some locally after I bought mine on Ebay.

                  re; cardboard and fire: unless the loop arcs over somewhere or there are metal particles in the board I wouldn't worry about a few watts of RF. Personally, I'd avoid the cardboard anyway. It reminds me of the Harry Lythall SM0VPO packing crate loop antenna:

                  http://www.sm0vpo.com/antennas/crate.htm

                  Andrew
                  N3LCW

                  --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, Jim Dunstan <jimdunstan@...> wrote:

                  > A great idea. I'm going to practice on the front picture window! By the
                  > way ... who caries the copper foil tape ?
                  >
                  > Thanks,
                  >
                  > Jim, VE3CI

                • Rick Karlquist
                  Message 8 of 16 , May 2, 2010
                    I would just like to clear up 2 common misconceptions:

                    1. Tubing vs foil (or any other non-close shape):
                    RF current spreads out on the conductor and concentrates on
                    the edges. Tubing has no edge, therefore the RF
                    current will spread out more uniformly. If the tubing
                    is circular (as opposed to square) the current is forced by
                    symmetry to be uniform and there is no current crowding.
                    This is why round tubing will have the less loss than
                    foil of comparable dimensions.

                    2. Reducing conductor loss in a small loop ultimately results
                    in an impractically high Q with very narrow bandwidth. If
                    you are stuck with a small loop, it just isn't going to be
                    very efficient and there isn't a lot that you can do about it.

                    Summarizing: foil will be lossier than comparable tubing.
                    It may not be much better than wire. So your foil loop will
                    not be especially efficient. OTOH, if foil is convenient to
                    use, go ahead, because loop efficiency is much more about loop
                    size than conductor size.

                    Rick N6RK
                  • david feldman
                    Message 9 of 16 , May 2, 2010
                      I found on amazon.com JVCC brand 36 yard by 1/4, 1/2 and 1" 1 oz (thickness measure) tape with conductive adhesive (USD $12, 22, 39 respectively.)

                      http://www.amazon.com/JVCC-CFL-5CA-Copper-Conductive-Adhesive/dp/B000WQBRJA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1272817726&sr=1-3

                      Maybe it is used in laptop display repair (for shielding the inverter and fluorescent lamp circuitry)?

                      Not known if it can be cleanly removed from window glass...

                      >>N3LCW
                      >
                      > Hi Andrew
                      >
                      > A great idea. I'm going to practice on the front picture window! By the
                      > way ... who caries the copper foil tape ?
                      >
                      > Thanks,
                      >
                      > Jim, VE3CI

                    • david feldman
                      Message 10 of 16 , May 2, 2010
                        Another one - 2" wide tape (thickness unspecified) also 36 yard roll, however, it does include in description text "it's aggressive adhesive system..." so maybe not so easily removed? Anyway, USD 49 per 36 yard roll makes interesting possibility for wrapping lengths of PVC (not sure if it would survive outdoor flexing and getting around 45/90 degree angles...)

                        http://www.1stmaskingtape.com/detail.php?pid=11119&cid=575

                        > I found on amazon.com JVCC brand 36 yard by 1/4, 1/2 and 1" 1 oz (thickness measure) tape with conductive adhesive (USD $12, 22, 39 respectively.)
                        >
                        > http://www.amazon.com/JVCC-CFL-5CA-Copper-Conductive-Adhesive/dp/B000WQBRJA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1272817726&sr=1-3
                        >
                        > Maybe it is used in laptop display repair (for shielding the inverter and fluorescent lamp circuitry)?
                        >
                        > Not known if it can be cleanly removed from window glass...
                        >
                        >>>N3LCW
                        >>
                        >> Hi Andrew
                        >>
                        >> A great idea. I'm going to practice on the front picture window! By the
                        >> way ... who caries the copper foil tape ?
                        >>
                        >> Thanks,
                        >>
                        >> Jim, VE3CI

                      • Christopher E. Brown
                        Message 11 of 16 , May 2, 2010
                          Why go through the hassle? Wrapping copper tape on a PVC form leaves you
                          with a fairly stiff loop, and alot of unknowns.

                          "Air con" copper tube (available in multiple sizes at any home supply or
                          plumbing house).

                          Thin wall copper pipe, easy enough to make an octagonal loop with a couple
                          sticks and some 45 elbows.

                          If you want flexable/portable there are a number of receive only designs
                          that used coax. You could also use a fine strand DC power cable, #4 can
                          be had that rolls up almost as easy as rope.

                          Losses would be higher, but I suspect losses would be lower in #4 power
                          cable than with copper foil wrapped on a PVC form.

                          Don't get me wrong, the copper foil trick is neat for a temp antenna, used
                          in myself on 6M once I just would not use it for a high current low band
                          antenna where I had another choice.

                          On Sun, 2 May 2010, david feldman wrote:

                          > Another one - 2" wide tape (thickness unspecified) also 36 yard roll,
                          > however, it does include in description text "it's aggressive adhesive
                          > system..." so maybe not so easily removed? Anyway, USD 49 per 36 yard
                          > roll makes interesting possibility for wrapping lengths of PVC (not sure
                          > if it would survive outdoor flexing and getting around 45/90 degree
                          > angles...)
                          >
                          > http://www.1stmaskingtape.com/detail.php?pid=11119&cid=575
                          >
                          >> I found on amazon.com JVCC brand 36 yard by 1/4, 1/2 and 1" 1 oz (thickness measure) tape with conductive adhesive (USD $12, 22, 39 respectively.)
                          >>
                          >> http://www.amazon.com/JVCC-CFL-5CA-Copper-Conductive-Adhesive/dp/B000WQBRJA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1272817726&sr=1-3
                          >>
                          >> Maybe it is used in laptop display repair (for shielding the inverter and fluorescent lamp circuitry)?
                          >>
                          >> Not known if it can be cleanly removed from window glass...

                          >>> Hi Andrew
                          >>>
                          >>> A great idea. I'm going to practice on the front picture window! By the
                          >>> way ... who caries the copper foil tape ?
                          >>>
                          >>> Thanks,
                          >>>
                          >>> Jim, VE3CI

                          >> The New Busy is not the old busy. Search, chat and e-mail from your inbox.
                          >> http://www.windowslive.com/campaign/thenewbusy?ocid=PID28326::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-US:WM_HMP:042010_3
                        • bm40g
                          Message 12 of 16 , May 16, 2010
                            Hi All,

                            If you tried to price the cost of copper lately, its clear that for an economic solution to the truely efficient magnetic loop antenna, a non-copper support of the loop makes sense. Really, to get good efficiency for middle HF frequency (7 to 15 MHz), a three inch diameter copper tubular conductor in the 3 to 4 foot diameter range is a good target.

                            A tubular conductor that size from copper, or even aluminum is very heavy, and will require some significant mechanical design.

                            A PVC octagon made from 3 inch or 4 inch lightwieght (not the solid) PVC tubing is a reasonable cost.

                            If one then, rather than wrap the copper flashing, but laid it side by side in-line with the PVC support tube , a low resitance loop could be made. The issue with wrapping , is that the currents flow in the direction of the tubing, and every time a current has to jump to the next layer of wrapping, it incurs a resistance. So, a wrapped configuration would require soldering every wrap-to-wrap joint, and then you still get the solder surface resistance. By having the conductors in line, with say a tack solder here and there, much less resistance is encurred.

                            Now, current bunching is an issue, but I have not seen any modeling to suggest how much of issue at HF. The practicalities of the flat loop may just not occur until much higher frequencies. Or maybe not. Without any true high frequency analysis, its just not clear how wide the strip has to be before the current bunching increases the resistance by what percentage over the predicted surface area resistance. Indeed, what modelling I have done on this issue tends to indicate the currents stay on the inside surface of a conductor with significant thickness, especially near the drive end of the loop. This implies that the optimum conductor may actually be a half-tube. Where current bunching pushes currents to the edges, but the induction action in the antenna pulls the currents torwards the smallest radius section of the tube. The result being an even coduction across the surface of the half-round conductor.
                          • Richard (Rick) Karlquist
                            Message 13 of 16 , May 16, 2010
                              bm40g wrote:
                              > If you tried to price the cost of copper lately, its clear that for an
                              > economic solution to the truely efficient magnetic loop antenna, a
                              > non-copper support of the loop makes sense. Really, to get good
                              > efficiency for middle HF frequency (7 to 15 MHz), a three inch diameter
                              > copper tubular conductor in the 3 to 4 foot diameter range is a good
                              > target.

                              The problem with this approach is that high efficiency necessarily
                              results in very narrow bandwidth and very high Q (ie high voltages
                              across the gap). At some point, it becomes impractical as an antenna.

                              > If one then, rather than wrap the copper flashing, but laid it side by
                              > side in-line with the PVC support tube , a low resitance loop could be

                              Right

                              > true high frequency analysis, its just not clear how wide the strip has
                              > to be before the current bunching increases the resistance by what

                              A tubular conductor uniquely has no edges for current to bunch up
                              on, and due to circular symmetry, the current is forced to be uniform.
                              Any non closed cross section will have current bunching.

                              > percentage over the predicted surface area resistance. Indeed, what
                              > modelling I have done on this issue tends to indicate the currents stay
                              > on the inside surface of a conductor with significant thickness,

                              What tool are you using to model? I did a bunch of measurements on
                              loops and found that the Q goes up as the conductor thickness increases,
                              but only to a point of diminishing returns. After that, you can't
                              get a higher Q no matter how thick the conductor. (This was for a
                              solid wire conductor). This maximum Q was only several hundred,
                              and could not be explained by radiation resistance. I hypothesized
                              that the currents were being bunched up by the magnetic field and
                              were not fully utilizing the conductor.

                              > especially near the drive end of the loop. This implies that the optimum
                              > conductor may actually be a half-tube. Where current bunching pushes
                              > currents to the edges, but the induction action in the antenna pulls the
                              > currents torwards the smallest radius section of the tube. The result
                              > being an even coduction across the surface of the half-round conductor.

                              That's interesting; two opposing effects. Hard to say which one "wins"

                              Rick N6RK