Re: Big wheel loop antenna

  • huf1967
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 14, 2010
      Rick,

      I would like to get those scans if possible. You can mail them to huf1967@.... I had heard that the plans were in the old ARRL manual but was unable to locate that particular manual.

      Are each loop 1 wavelength each or 1/3 of a full wavelength ??

      Thanks,
      Jay

      --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@...> wrote:

      > This appeared in old editions of the ARRL VHF manual.
      > I have one of these legacy editions and can scan the
      > article for you. I remember that it consisted of
      > three 1 wavelength loops spaced at 120 degrees in
      > the horizontal plane. I think they were simply
      > fed in parallel.
      >
      > Rick N6RK
      >
      > huf1967 wrote:
      > >

      > > I'm trying to build a big wheel loop antenna to use on a high altitude
      > > ballooning project. I've found several websites referring to the
      > > popularity of the big wheel antenna but with all the claims of
      > > popularity I can't seem to find any design plans. Through piecing
      > > information from several different websites together I think I may have
      > > some of the design figured out.

    • kd5foy_new
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 14, 2010
        3 full wave loops in parallel. google is your friend, tons of links

        larry, kd5foy

        --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, "huf1967" <jayschinkel@...> wrote:

        > Rick,
        >
        > I would like to get those scans if possible. You can mail them to huf1967@... I had heard that the plans were in the old ARRL manual but was unable to locate that particular manual.
        >
        > Are each loop 1 wavelength each or 1/3 of a full wavelength ??
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Jay
        >

        > --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@> wrote:
        > >
        > > This appeared in old editions of the ARRL VHF manual.
        > > I have one of these legacy editions and can scan the
        > > article for you. I remember that it consisted of
        > > three 1 wavelength loops spaced at 120 degrees in
        > > the horizontal plane. I think they were simply
        > > fed in parallel.
        > >
        > > Rick N6RK
        > >
        > > huf1967 wrote:
        > > >

        > > > I'm trying to build a big wheel loop antenna to use on a high altitude
        > > > ballooning project. I've found several websites referring to the
        > > > popularity of the big wheel antenna but with all the claims of
        > > > popularity I can't seem to find any design plans. Through piecing
        > > > information from several different websites together I think I may have
        > > > some of the design figured out.

      • Rick Karlquist
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 14, 2010
          huf1967 wrote:
          > Rick,
          >
          > I would like to get those scans if possible. You can mail them to
          > huf1967@.... I had heard that the plans were in the old ARRL
          > manual but was unable to locate that particular manual.
          >
          > Are each loop 1 wavelength each or 1/3 of a full wavelength ??
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Jay

          IIRC, each loop is 1 wavelength. The book is at my remote
          base, which I won't be visiting again until April 27, so
          I'll get back to you then.

          Rick N6RK
        • steve.g4vbd
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 14, 2010
            Hi Guys
            try these web sites

            http://home.hccnet.nl/uffe.noucha/log/bigwheel.htm

            http://www.hamtv.com/wheel.html

            http://www.vhfcomm.co.uk/dl8zx.htm

            http://www.gmat.unsw.edu.au/snap/publications/ely_2004a.pdf

            regards

            Steve, g4vbd

            > > I'm trying to build a big wheel loop antenna to use on a high altitude
            > > ballooning project. I've found several websites referring to the
            > > popularity of the big wheel antenna but with all the claims of
            > > popularity I can't seem to find any design plans. Through piecing
            > > information from several different websites together I think I may have
            > > some of the design figured out.

          • dx11
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 14, 2010
              For dimensions see:

              http://f1rfm.free.fr/bigwheel.htm

              Cor Beijersbergen
            • richard
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 14, 2010
                On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 19:49:51 +0100
                "steve.g4vbd" <steve.g4vbd@...> wrote:

                > Hi Guys
                > try these web sites
                >
                > http://home.hccnet.nl/uffe.noucha/log/bigwheel.htm
                >
                > http://www.hamtv.com/wheel.html
                >
                > http://www.vhfcomm.co.uk/dl8zx.htm
                >
                > http://www.gmat.unsw.edu.au/snap/publications/ely_2004a.pdf
                >
                > regards
                >
                > Steve, g4vbd
                >

                > > > I'm trying to build a big wheel loop antenna to use on a high altitude
                > > > ballooning project. I've found several websites referring to the
                > > > popularity of the big wheel antenna but with all the claims of
                > > > popularity I can't seem to find any design plans. Through piecing
                > > > information from several different websites together I think I may have
                > > > some of the design figured out.

                > .
                It was in VHF Communications in the 1980's, it will show up in the index,
                Also known as a clover leaf antenna

                --
                Best wishes

                Richard Bown

                Registered Linux User 36561
                OS: Mandriva 2010.0 Powerpack on an AMD Dual Athlon 64 +4400: 8 GB RAM DDR2
                Ham Call: G8JVM , QRA IO82SP, Interests Microwave 1.3 GHz,2.3 GHz & 5.7GHz & 10
                GHz
              • huf1967
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 15, 2010
                  Thanks to all the information from everyone. Some of the sites I had been to before and some are new. Combining info from different sites has put some of the missing pieces together for this build. I'm trying to shoot for 144.39 for our balloon launches so we'll see how it turns out. Now to piece together materials !!