Harbor Freight

  • Chris Trask
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 28, 2010
      Generally, I don't think much of Harbor Freight Tools. However, they
      had a one-page ad in today's newspaper with a bunch of coupons, one of which
      was for a free 9-LED flashlight. They also had a 20% off any one item
      coupon. I went to the Harbor Freight about 4 miles south of me and looked
      around. Since my shop has just about every sort of tool I can imagine
      needing I didn't expect to see anything of interest. However, I spent a
      good deal of time looking this item over:

      http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=99736

      Anyone who builds loop antennas knows exactly what this is good for.
      The number of dies is limited to three sizes. But, I'm going to look in a
      local junk yard for pulleys and see if I can make my own for bending 1/2",
      3/4", and 1" copper pipe. It's a whole lot cheaper than a Greenlee or Rigid
      hydraulic bender, and you can do any radius you desire by adjusting the
      centre jack screw.

      And I did get the free flashlight. It has a metal body, which is far
      better than what I was expecting, plus it included the batteries. And it's
      bright to the point where you don't want to look directly at it.

      Chris

      ,----------------------. High Performance Mixers and
      / What's all this \ Amplifiers for RF Communications
      / extinct stuff, anyhow? /
      \ _______,--------------' Chris Trask / N7ZWY
      _ |/ Principal Engineer
      oo\ Sonoran Radio Research
      (__)\ _ P.O. Box 25240
      \ \ .' `. Tempe, Arizona 85285-5240
      \ \ / \
      \ '" \ IEEE Senior Member #40274515
      . ( ) \
      '-| )__| :. \ Email: christrask@...
      c__; c__; '-..'>.__

      Graphics by Loek Frederiks
    • kevin asato
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 28, 2010
        Yes, the do have good deals. You just have to realize and accept the quality of the parts as you put your money down. Once you do that, just use the piece of equipment without complaint. If you wanted the Craftsman guarantee, you would have bought from Sears/K-Mart/OSH (Orchard Supply Hardware).

        I stopped in to Harbor Freight a few weeks ago pick up some stepped drill bits for a project and also ended up buying a heat gun, with two temp ranges - warm & hot, for $9.99. A comparable price is 30 to 40 dollars more. I've always wanted one for personal use when working with heatshrink tubing as some of the tubing I was starting to work with outgrew the capability of my 35w soldering iron. (I used to have access to one when I worked in a company facility. I haven't had access to one for over 5 years since I work from home or at a client's facility.) A heat gun can also be used to preheat the solder paste when working with surface mount parts and also when desoldering ICs.

        73,
        kevin
        kc6pob

        '-| )__| :. \ Email: christrask@earthlin k.net

        c__; c__; '-..'>.__

        Graphics by Loek Frederiks

      • tenorman1952
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 1, 2010
          --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Trask" <christrask@...> wrote:
          However, I spent a
          > good deal of time looking this item over:
          >
          > http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=99736
          >
          > Anyone who builds loop antennas knows exactly what this is good for.

          Chris... wow!!! You could really do some damage with that!

          Always look forward to seeing your various projects.

          73
          Paul
          AE5JU
        • jrtow3rd@bellsouth.net
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 1, 2010
            I've bought a few H-F items of note, most recently a 12V booster/power supply for ~$30. It contains a 12V 17 A-Hr sealed cell and a 120VAC recharger. Great for DXpeditions... or when you go out and find you left the lights on your car on last night - and your car won't start.

            Totally off topic, a large digitally locked 'executive safe', actually, a firearms safe, they regularly have for $140+ makes a great 'dangerous item' holder. I store homebrew ammo in it, but others have their electric hand tools, solvents, paints, etc, in them, too. Not fireproof - or gas tight - they will keep little folks out - and contain any flammable items, thus not causing an explosion. As has been said, one takes their items with a modicum of chagrin. Of course, they do carry a few name-brand items - and even a few USA-made items, too.

            Okay, I'll come clean... there is an Ecuadorian restaurant in the same strip mall as the Birmingham H-F. Their Mex food is fantastic.

            John
          • Chris Trask
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 1, 2010

              > --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Trask" <christrask@...> wrote:
              > > However, I spent a good deal of time looking this item over:

              http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=99736

              > > Anyone who builds loop antennas knows exactly what this is good for.
              >

              > Chris... wow!!! You could really do some damage with that!
              >
              > Always look forward to seeing your various projects.

              A fellow on another list sent me this URL for a similar tubing bender
              made of wood that appeared in Mother Earth News back in 1980:

              http://www.motherearthnews.com/Do-It-Yourself/1980-09-01/Homemade-Tubing-Rol
              ler.aspx

              Now THAT'S inspirational. I can get that article next time I visit the
              university library as they have it bound on the shelves as well as
              electronically from Mother Earth News.

              Chris Trask
              N7ZWY / WDX3HLB
              Senior Member IEEE