Re Slinky

  • Michael in Suffolk
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 31, 2009
      Hi. If using a slinky PAINT IN as it will rust, just drop the whole slinky into some paint and let it hang dry, or use varnish. I understand there are coated types for sale AT A PRICE but I think there all in the US, done here in the UK as yet, 3 in a line will get you on 160 metres - I read in Practical Wireless, use a cord to hold it up, the good thing is the birds willnot crash into it due to the coil size, there are BTW 3 size type, all for now. mbe Mike UK.

    • david
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 31, 2009
        hi i use slinkys on a indoor mw flag antenna and it works great check out the rest of my videos on how it performs .. i have had peru west coast usa etc on mw and a couple of so call uk firsts on mw and also several alaskans on mw here in scotland and the antenna is indoors so they do work.

        the only difference now is the feed and the resistor are fed on the middle of the vertical legs ... happy new year all cheers david ... ayrshire scotland
        slinky video http://www.youtube.com/user/tvdxrools#p/u/151/WVP9jUAuhOc

        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 31, 2009
          Hi David. Just seen your video fantastic it came over very well, I am thinking of putting a FLAG ANTENNA in my loft it would be facing South as is the flat can't move that LOL, but would need help, no its not a visit but you would be more than welcome.
          Thing is getting the BALum and resistor made, so may come to you for help.
          My loft has no water tanks and is about 29/30 feet long.
          I have about 6 Slinky's which I was going to run down the garden that may come about in the summer once I get the idea as to its workings and layout.
          I but have two drunks living under me that have given problems in the past Ofcom visits and all I won BTW, I think that should stop now aftewr 11.5 years of hell from them, its a long story and do not wish to do my washing here, could we talk via my email address which is michael.evans380@...
          or wendy-michael@...
        • Mike
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 2, 2010
            Hi David. WE never did talk!!!!!!!!!!!
            Once again then. Just seen your video fantastic it came over very well, I am thinking of putting a FLAG ANTENNA in my loft it would be facing South so WEst off the side! but need help,thing is getting the BALum and resistor made, so may come to you for help, as you said in that vid "Making this Balum to send to a friend and I hope you can knock up one for me AT COST.
            My loft has no water tanks and is about 29/30 feet long.

            I have about 6 Slinky's which I was going to run down the garden that may come about in the summer once I get the idea as to its workings and layout.
            > I but have two drunks living under me that have given problems in the past Ofcom visits and all I won BTW, I think that should stop now after 11.5 years of hell from them, its a long story and do not wish to do my washing here, could we talk I ordered a 2.2 K ohm variable today so just need trhe BALum, no good sending me to a site as I have no idea as to what I will see there. my TWO email address's are michael.evans380@... OR wendy-michael@....
          • david
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 2, 2010
              i have just replied to this at your personal email. flag baluns are easy just get a ferrite ring put 48 turns of insulated wire at one side this goes to the flag and take 11 turns of insulated wire at the other side of the ring this goes to the coax surley you can make this on your own and again its not a balum its a balun ... cheers david

              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 2, 2010
                Hi David. Now that things have calmed down, between us!!!!!!!!!! tell me that type number ferrite ring and what gauge wire. You have not seen my hands as to making such things, its not a head thing but a fingers thing. Mike Cheers.