Bar Fire Element I may NO!

  • Michael in Suffolk
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 29, 2009
      Hi. A bar fire element, kept you warm in my Grans house, wire THE ELEMENT wound wire was on a ceramic 12" former with a LIVE terminal each end - 240 volts into made it got hot at 1-3 Kw, a few shillings {now 5 pence} made it glow hot for about an hour, hope this helps, the good old days, I do not think so. Mike UK.

    • M HOLDEN
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 29, 2009
        Was she on top band too?

        Hi. A bar fire element, kept you warm in my Grans house, wire THE ELEMENT wound wire was on a ceramic 12" former with a LIVE terminal each end - 240 volts into made it got hot at 1-3 Kw, a few shillings {now 5 pence} made it glow hot for about an hour, hope this helps, the good old days, I do not think so. Mike UK.

      • brian russell
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 30, 2009
          Mike,
          During WW2 when electric fires were unobtainable we were given a 1930's
          model.
          This had a copper dish reflector appx 15 in dia and the element coil was wound
          on a ceramic former about the size of a 150 watt light bulb that plugged in.
          Anyone know what type of wire elements are made of ????
          72, Brian, G0NSL-QRP.
            > Mike, During WW2 when electric fires were unobtainable
            > we were given a 1930's model. This had a copper dish
            > reflector appx 15 in dia and the element coil was wound
            > on a ceramic former about the size of a 150 watt light
            > bulb that plugged in. Anyone know what type of wire
            > elements are made of ????

            Nichrome (sometimes called nichrome V) is a common alloy for
            such heating elements. Kanthal is another trade name for
            one of these high melting point alloys made of nickel,
            chrome, and sometimes iron and aluminum.

            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nichrome

            John Popelish
          • Mike
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 30, 2009
              Hi John. My Gran had a round dish copper heaterthe element was in round layer form wonder if this is the heater you was talkinbg about, I had to get the shilling coins from the newspaper man in those days. mike.
              --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, John Popelish <jpopelish@...> wrote:

              > brian russell wrote:
              > > Mike, During WW2 when electric fires were unobtainable
              > > we were given a 1930's model. This had a copper dish
              > > reflector appx 15 in dia and the element coil was wound
              > > on a ceramic former about the size of a 150 watt light
              > > bulb that plugged in. Anyone know what type of wire
              > > elements are made of ????
              >
              > Nichrome (sometimes called nichrome V) is a common alloy for
              > such heating elements. Kanthal is another trade name for
              > one of these high melting point alloys made of nickel,
              > chrome, and sometimes iron and aluminum.
              >
              > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nichrome
              > --
              > Regards,
              >
              > John Popelish

            • Mike
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 30, 2009
                Was it on a 78 rpm record.

                --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, M HOLDEN <mholden909@...> wrote:

                > Was she on top band too?

              • John Popelish
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 30, 2009
                  Mike wrote:
                  > Hi John. My Gran had a round dish copper heaterthe
                  > element was in round layer form wonder if this is the
                  > heater you was talkinbg about, I had to get the shilling
                  > coins from the newspaper man in those days. mike.

                  Lots of those radiant heaters had the heating element made
                  on a conical ceramic form with a lamp base so it could be
                  replaced by just screwing in a new one.

                  http://www.hudsonscustommachining.com/heater.elements.replacement.jpg

                  John Popelish
                • Dexter McIntyre W4DEX
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 30, 2009
                    >> brian russell wrote:
                    >>> Mike, During WW2 when electric fires were unobtainable
                    >>> we were given a 1930's model. This had a copper dish
                    >>> reflector appx 15 in dia and the element coil was wound
                    >>> on a ceramic former about the size of a 150 watt light
                    >>> bulb that plugged in. Anyone know what type of wire
                    >>> elements are made of ????

                    I've seen old heaters use this type element:

                    http://www.w4dex.com/temp/heating_coil.jpg

                    I have two sizes, the smaller I think is 600w and the one in the picture is 1000
                    watt. Some years ago I had a load bank of these elements for testing a 400 cps
                    inverter system.

                    Dex
                  • brian russell
                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 31, 2009
                      John,
                      Thanks for the rundown on element wire, it is
                      possibly too brittle for antennas hi!
                      The resistance must be quite high to do that job.
                      Regards,
                      72, Brian, G0NSL-QRP.