Re: [loopantennas] Loops null direction

  • Paul V Birke PEng
    Message 1 of 31 , Nov 10, 2009
      dear brian

      the optimal shape for a loop is a rectangle with rounded corner

      the German army used an oval shaped profile

      it would be as if you had a circle and compressed at the top so the one ends up with a fully rounded sides and flat at the top and bottom

      so likely the above is better than a square for diamond

      you need the rounded corners according to the theory

      what I cannot remember now is whether the above applies to only small loops yes I think it is small loops

      what is also interesting there is an olde swedish patent on having two loops offset by something like 10 or 20 degrees for accurate direction finding and extra gain I think with the extra loop

      it is a US patent from like 1933

      anyways hope that helps

      other likely know much more than above
      best wishes
      Paul

      ________________________________
      Message 31 of 31 , Dec 15, 2009

        > I've ordered a couple of 13.5" 125u rods, and made a really nice tuned
        > ferrite rod antenna for MW dxing. works very well. I used Litz wire to
        > do the windings. Very sharp tuning, and when inductively coupled to the
        > ferrite on several radios, truly enhances the signals. I'm thinking of
        > doing up a nice LW antenna for NDB Dxing with my R75, using a coupling
        > section to input into the high Z in the radio...
        >
        > THese rods are fantastic.

        I used a similar rod for my active ferrite rod antenna, using a somewhat
        novel approach to the remote tuning which provides a much higher signal
        voltage to the amplifier:

        http://www.home.earthlink.net/~christrask/Paper006.html

        Chris