Enhanced performance with a Ramsey Signal magnet (kit)

  • Stumm, John C
    Message 1 of 1 , May 7 7:40 AM

      My latest shielded loop, (11" ferrite rod attached to a stock Ramsey Signal Magnet)has produced some impressive results! With my part 15 broadcaster tuned to 1700Khz, I was able to clearly pick up the tone bursts at 9.8 miles out! The AM-88 kit from Northcountry Radio I'm using is stock, (100mw) feeding a base loaded 9ft CB whip and totally legal, (I believe). The range might have been greater but I ran out of road. I brought along my CCrane twin loop for comparison. It could pick up the signal but it was barely discernable. I have proved that the Ramsey can be a real performer with a simple mod. The 11" rod I used is actually 9 - 3.5" small ones bundled 3X3. (5 bucks + shipping for 10 of 'em on ebay) The guy sells them continually. A good deal! The glued together assembly is stuffed in a piece of ¾” PVC thin wall and about 70 turns of #20 is evenly wrapped along the entire length. The shield is a kitchen stove exhaust fan screen that I rolled into a perfectly sized faraday shield. I will post a pic soon in the loop du jour file. Oh yea, the receiver I’m using is just a DX-392 from RS. It has a convenient external antenna input jack that accommodates the Ramsey’s output very well.

      John