Re:Input impedance of Degen 1103.....an external "passive" ferrite ante

  • gmcjetpilot
    Message 1 of 9 , May 26, 2009
      WARNING the DE1103 DOES NOT ALLOW EXTERNAL ANTENNA JACK CONNECTION FOR AM BCB/MW. (UNLESS YOU USE THE "TRICK"). THIS IS A HACK AND NOT IN THE MANUAL. THE MW ANTENNA IS A TYPICAL LOOP STICK AND NORMALLY TO ONLY WAY TO COUPLE IS PASSIVELY (WITH OUT THE TRICK).

      The antenna input is 400 ohms, pretty well set up for a a 30-foot random wire. The DE1103 has a interesting antenna match system (SEE SOME REF LINKS BELOW). Join the DE1103 Group for more info.

      I have a DE1103 (same as KA1103). Highly recommend. The best deal on the market.

      The external Antenna Jack is only for SW/FM and does not work for MW, only works for SW. However there is a TRICK to allow the external antenna jack to work on MW and LW. See "TRICK" below:

      Here is a review:
      http://www.radiointel.com/review-degende1103.htm

      Here is the technical info
      http://www.ukradio.info/Degen/

      Another Review and comparison (CUT THE WHOLE LONG LINK):

      http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/ABIcSlNLc6UL1HlbWJ54kKrnWlRPDmMG-b58JyJYEDMGHyb-uOelj1e1NBfWQ7y_b9BPDxYo6yF6By2W-35AyZSp8-s_LEMqcu0/mtrevumay07.pdf

      Manual:

      http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/ABIcSj66stoL1HlbEOZRvpiUj2EL-wZ6yxTaGTTWcXIcKZ3jdSE--MYwks5nA-0R8Xtz2DDBdPOMZVIKDtBBsWmH66aWCY_0TQo/DE1103.pdf

      TRICK!

      It is possible to tune the 1103 receivers below 100kHz, and to
      disconnect the internal ferrite rod antenna on MW + LW, by using
      this simple procedure with the SCAN function.

      Normally, a 'scan' will remain within the selected band, with
      the tuning scale showing progress through the band. If you start
      a scan from outside a band, the scan will become 'trapped' within
      the next band that is reached. However, starting between 1 & 9kHz
      above any band upper edge and scanning down, will bypass the 'band'
      system, and will not switch to the ferrite rod in the range 1710 -
      100kHz. The tuning will also continue below 100kHz.

      So, select 1711 by direct entry:
      [1] [7] [1] [1] [band+/AM]
      and scan down: hold [BAND-] for 2 seconds.
      As soon as the frequency is below 1710kHz you can stop the scan and
      use the rotary control, or you can let the scan continue below 100kHz.
      The antenna is now switched for the telescopic or external antenna.
      I suggest you tune it down to zero and store this in preset 0, or store
      99kHz in preset 99. Also store any frequencies for which you wish to
      use the external antenna input. You can store any frequency with the
      [SSB] mode 'on' for CW reception.
      Once you tune above 1710 again, the system will revert to the normal
      tuning range with the ferrite rod for MW + LW.

      There is another procedure at http://mods.radioscanner.ru/degen/mod29/
      for tuning above 30MHz (AM), possibly up to 35 - 37MHz depending on
      hardware alignment

      JH 17-12-2008

      --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, "Darren Hennig" <dhennig2@...> wrote:

      > I Agree with Paul - 500-600ohm should be about right. I use a ferrite rod with mine, and I used ~500ohm for my secondary. Seems to do just fine with my 1103!
      >
      > Darren
      > VE6IZ

    • gmcjetpilot
      Message 2 of 9 , May 26, 2009
        --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, "Darren Hennig" <dhennig2@...> wrote:

        > I Agree with Paul - 500-600ohm should be about right. I use a ferrite rod with mine, and I used ~500ohm for my secondary. Seems to do just fine with my 1103!
        >
        > Darren
        > VE6IZ

        IT IS about 400 ohms but see my other post (just posted) on how to connect the extenral jack and disconnect the internal MW loop stick. There is a hack or trick.

        It is a great radio, join the DE1103 group. There are great links, files and info on the group.
      • aimo ruoho
        Message 3 of 9 , May 28, 2009
          Thanks !
          What is the exact address, URL, of the 1103 group
          Aimo

          Message 4 of 9 , May 29, 2009
            --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, aimo ruoho <aimounto@...> wrote:

            > Thanks !
            > What is the exact address, URL, of the 1103 group
            > Aimo

          • Notareal
            Message 5 of 9 , May 29, 2009
              Maybe this is more active: