Re: Need QST year/mo. that had article on a 40M mag loop made of cop

  • David Feldman
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 18, 2009
      I don't think anyone has found it yet - it may well have been in CQ - I
      suspect about 1 or 2 years ago because I went out to pick up some copper
      tubing which I still have (and hence want to build the project). I also
      receive CQ, but my magazine archives are no tidier than any of my other
      "archives".

      If someone could search their CQ archives and advise, that would be much
      appreciated.

      Thanks,

      Dave

      ###

      1b. Re: Need QST year/mo. that had article on a 40M mag loop made of cop
      Posted by: "vy2hf@..." vy2hf@... ve1jh
      Date: Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:58 am ((PDT))

      I'm an ARRL member and did a QST article search with no luck. I searched
      "magnetic," and various combinations of other words that might have fit.

      No joy at all.

      Any chance it was in CQ?

      Brent Taylor
      VY2HF
      Stratford, PEI, Canada
    • dldorrance
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 19, 2009
        Lots of articles on this subject right here:
        http://www.google.com/search?q=40+meter+small+loop+antenna&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

        Before you buy materials you will want to consider how you intend to mount the beast, which should be about 6 feet on a side if square.

        In my experience the hardest part is the tuning of the sense loop or "gamma match". Either is very critical. I've had better luck with the "gamma match", which is actually an autoformer. In any case you need an antenna analyzer attached directly to the loop to get it right.

        Download a small loop calculator to sketch out parameters. You may ballpark component values with a small loop antenna calculator. There are also many on the Internet. Here is one:
        http://www.dxzone.com/cgi-bin/dir/jump2.cgi?ID=19510

        Dave, WA6YSO
      • David Feldman
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 19, 2009
          OK, found it - March 2007:

          "Mar 2007 QST 41 Compact 40 Meter HF Loop for Your Recreational Vehicle
          Portune, John E., W6NBC"

          Dave

          ###
          3a. Re: Need QST year/mo. that had article on a 40M mag loop made of cop
          Posted by: "David Feldman" wb0gaz@... dgfaa

          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 23, 2009
            I don't know if this is the one you are looking for but look at the Mar, 2007 issue of QST with an article "Compact 40 Meter HF Loop For Your Recreational Vehicle".

            Cheers!
            Lloyd
            VK4ERQ/VE3ERQ