two meter loop design needed

  • brian russell
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 24, 2009
      Hello Jim,
      Nice to hear from you.
      Yes my Moxon loop is a 2m version, the 16mm PVC boom has a
      ' T ' piece in the center to slip on a 16mm PVC mast made of 2 x 1m
      lengths, though I did fit a timber insert inside the tube to add strength
      without any real weight increase, by making one core longer than 1m
      that facilitated the jointing method.
      The mast sections go down my rucksack corner and the Moxon hangs
      on the back like a snowshoe hi!
      At the spacing point of the elements a piece of 10mm dia Delrin is used,
      the ends being reduced to a ' tap in ' fit to the 8mm copper tubing.
      I have thought of an ' add on ' director, just another piece of 16mm
      PVC tube with a rod element, or better still using two telescopic whip
      antennas from a BC set, that way they would fold flat down the
      extra boom piece for carrying.

    • Mike Phillips
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 10, 2009
        Hi Jim,

        Can I get the title of your Antenna Book? That cubical quad is right up my alley for an attic antenna.

        Mike

        --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, Jim Dunstan <jimdunstan@...> wrote:

        > At 05:45 PM 2/23/2009 +0000, you wrote:
        >
        > >--- jimdunstan wrote:
        > > > Has anyone experimented with a loop for two meter FM? If so would
        > > > youc have a design I could use?
        >
        > Hi,
        >
        > I took a quick look in my handy Antenna Book and see they have a
        > description of a 2 element loop antenna for 144 mhz. (cubical quad). It is
        > simplicity itself. It uses 1" x 1" lumber for the frame. The elements are
        > made of # 8 aluminium wire that is self supporting with a single 1" frame
        > member.
        >
        > The driven element is 83 in. (formed into a square) and the reflector is 5%
        > longer or 87 in. The driven element leaves an opening for the feed point
        > ... a small piece of plastic can be used there and it is fed directly with
        > 50 ohm coax. the driven element is closed and spaced somewhere between .15
        > to .25 wavelength distance (12.5" to 20.75") from the driven element. They
        > recommend adjusting the spacing for the best SWR ... as it has little
        > effect on antenna gain.
        >
        > The resulting antenna has forward gain and is quite broadband. If you just
        > want a single loop then simply forget the reflector.
        >
        > Jim, VE3CI

      • Jim Dunstan
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 10, 2009
          At 06:14 PM 3/10/2009 +0000, you wrote:

          >Hi Jim,
          >
          >Can I get the title of your Antenna Book? That cubical quad is right up my
          >alley for an attic antenna.
          >
          >Mike

          Hi Mike,

          Yes, it is the ARRL Antenna Handbook .... it is in the 13th edition .... I
          have older editions but this particular project (2m 2 el. Quad) is only in
          this edition. The electrical information is in all the editions ... the
          difference is in this edition it actually shows a simple construction
          project ... just uses wood for the spreaders and the boom. The wire is
          self supporting soft aluminium. But it is really pretty simple and all it
          does is show a line drawing of what it might look like ... if you need it,
          I can scan it for you.

          Jim, VE3CI
        • Mike Phillips
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 10, 2009
            I have the ARRL Antenna Book, 21st addition. You mentioned hand book. Two different volumes?

            Mike

            --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, Jim Dunstan <jimdunstan@...> wrote:

            > At 06:14 PM 3/10/2009 +0000, you wrote:
            >
            > >Hi Jim,
            > >
            > >Can I get the title of your Antenna Book? That cubical quad is right up my
            > >alley for an attic antenna.
            > >
            > >Mike
            >
            > Hi Mike,
            >
            > Yes, it is the ARRL Antenna Handbook .... it is in the 13th edition .... I
            > have older editions but this particular project (2m 2 el. Quad) is only in
            > this edition. The electrical information is in all the editions ... the
            > difference is in this edition it actually shows a simple construction
            > project ... just uses wood for the spreaders and the boom. The wire is
            > self supporting soft aluminium. But it is really pretty simple and all it
            > does is show a line drawing of what it might look like ... if you need it,
            > I can scan it for you.
            >
            > Jim, VE3CI

          • Jim Dunstan
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 10, 2009
              At 09:42 PM 3/10/2009 +0000, you wrote:

              >I have the ARRL Antenna Book, 21st addition. You mentioned hand book. Two
              >different volumes?
              >
              >Mike

              Hi Mike,

              I guess I miss spoke hi ... same book different edition ... e.g. ARRL
              Antenna Book, 13th edition.

              Jim
            • Mike Phillips
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 10, 2009
                There is a chapter in the 21st addition about quads. I'll study that for now. Thanks for the offer of a scan.