1923 Popular Radio magazine articles

  • tenorman1952
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 13, 2009
      I sat for the tests and was licensed as an amateur radio operator
      this past October 2008. I joined the local club and began attending
      meetings. There I met an older gentleman, Grant, age 93, who is my
      new best friend. ;-) He lives just a few blocks from my house, I
      discovered, and due to his poor night vision (he can drive during
      the day) I have begun driving him to the club meetings.

      Grant's body may be failing, but his mind is still sharp as a tack.
      When Grant speaks, everyone should shut up and listen. And those
      that know him do.

      Last week he dropped four tiny circuit boards in my hand, the
      smallest about 1" square, the largest about 1.5" x 2". "Do you know
      what you have there? That's a 40 meter Single Side Band receiver.
      I just need to finish the case for it." And he proceeded to tell me
      exactly how it worked.

      He showed me a magazine he found while looking for something else...
      a 1923 issue of Popular Radio. He let me borrow it and I scanned a
      few pages and posted them in a folder here, 1923 Popular Radio
      Articles. Take a look.

      I did not press down hard when scanning, so there are a few out of
      focus spots, but you can still read it easily. I was afraid of
      breaking the spine of the magazine, and the pages were somewhat
      brittle. I only scanned a few pages for this reason.

      The magazine was very well written, questions from readers section,
      various articles, how-tos, etc. Lots of schematics. What a piece
      of history!

      Of course, Grant is a walking, talking book of ham history and radio
      knowledge himself.

      You meet some great people in ham radio. I want to be just like
      Grant when I grow up.

      Anyway, you may enjoy looking at the few scanned pages.

      Paul
      AE5JU
    • John
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 13, 2009
        --- Paul/AE5JU wrote:

        > I sat for the tests and was licensed as an amateur radio operator
        > this past October 2008.

        <snip>

        > .... and I scanned a
        > few pages and posted them in a folder here, 1923 Popular Radio
        > Articles. Take a look.
        <snip>

        > Paul
        > AE5JU

        Congratulations, Paul, on your "promotion" to the amateur ranks.

        Those old magazine articles are terrific. I wish we had on-line access
        to them all. Back issues from that era are selling for 20 bucks apiece
        on EBay:

        http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200275707328&indexURL=\
        #ebayphotohosting
        <http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200275707328&indexURL\
        =#ebayphotohosting>

        Content of Pop Radio seems to be on a much higher technical level than
        "Radio News" a Gernsback "pop'tronics" magazine of the early 20th
        century:

        http://www.magazineart.org/main.php/v/technical/radionews/
        <http://www.magazineart.org/main.php/v/technical/radionews/>

        73,

        John/AF4EX

      • tenorman1952
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 13, 2009
          > Congratulations, Paul, on your "promotion" to the amateur ranks.

          Thank you, John!

          And a whole new bunch of friends, too. ;-)

          Paul
          AE5JU