Re: [loopantennas] Okay, a new loop believer!

  • Samuel Ernst-Fortin
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 1 8:04 AM
      Bill wrote:

      >>I don't remember paying much attention to
      >>linking those 4 capacitors together -- whether they were all series
      >>linked or series-paralleled. That WOULD make a difference, but
      >>tomorrow will be time enough. In the meantime, I am amazed at the way
      >>this little loop works.

      Go loops!

      Right, I believe that if the capacitors are wired in parallel, the equivalent capacitance is the sum of the individual capacitors,
      i.e. Ceq = C1 + C2 + ... Cn

      If the capacitors are wired in series, the reciprocal of the equivalent capacitance is equal to the sum of the reciprocals of each individual capacitor,
      i.e. 1/Ceq = 1/C1 + 1/C2 +... 1/Cn

      You are right, there should be a big difference in your results depending on how they are wired together.
    • gmcjetpilot
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 1 8:05 AM
        Not busting your chops Bill, you may be right, but....Are you sure
        BILL about the internal loop stick being cut out with the antenna
        input? I don't think so (I have a Degen 1103). On page 26 it says:

        "If FM or SW reception is too weak, use supplied extra- long
        external antenna to improve reception."

        I assume it does not mention MW. Here is the user manual.
        http://www.dpmega.com.hk/usermanual/e1103.pdf

        The manual says SW is from 1710 to 29999 khz. You are correct you can
        trick it to go below MW, but I did not know it would go below 100
        Khz. How do you do that.

        Also your antenna sounds cool, nice, could you take some pics & draw
        a diagram and post it in the pictures section. Thanks George

        > At my bedside I have a Degen 1103 radio, actually a really nice
        little
        > radio that has MW and SW bands. You can actually 'fool' the radio
        into
        > starting at 0 khz and working up in frequency using an easy software
        > 'hack' but the lower khz segments below MW seem to have some
        > 'overload' from local stations if using either a long wire or
        anything
        > other than the internal ferrite antenna.
        >
        > The neat thing about the radio is that IF you plug in an external
        > antenna, both the AM ferrite antenna and the telescoping SW antenna
        > are disconnected in favor of the external.
      • Darren Hennig
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 1 9:35 AM
          Bill:

          My 1103 does not disconnect my MW ferrite internal antenna. What vintage is your radio?

          Darren
          VE6IZ

        • Samuel Ernst-Fortin
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 1 10:45 AM
            Trick to tune the Degen 1103 down below 100Khz:
            http://www.rosestone.me.uk/Degen/VLF.txt

            This suggests the unit does some auto-selection/de-selection of the Ferrite Rod Antenna based on what and how it is tuned. If someone had a schematic, one could determine if the external antenna input jack has a contact which opens or closes with the insertion of the plug.

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 1 5:50 PM
              Bill I double checked and I was right, the Antenna plug is for SW
              (and FM) only on the Degan 1103, however you can boost the internal
              MW loop stick by a repeater or proximity loop boost.

              I have tired it with the Tecsun AN-200 and Terk AM advantage (simular
              9" loops). It works well. However the stock loop stick with out help
              is pretty amazing.

              The Degen DE31 or similar portable amplified loop has a loop stick
              booster. It works pretty well with the DE 1103. I found the loop
              stick to be on the back near the base of the telescoping antenna.

              When I use the loop stick booster of the Degen DE31 portable antenna
              (or similar), I fold the telescopic antenna up and lay the booster in
              that little recess near the base of the telescopic antenna.

              What I found is the the existing loop stick does pretty well on its
              own on MW. Of all the portable radios the DE 1103 gets the least
              benefit of an external LOOP booster. The DE 1103 with built in
              antennas is a great performer with out help. The design is pretty
              solid as is. I have compared it in stock form to other radios with an
              external loop and the DE 1103 holds it own. Cheers

              --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, "Bill" <harpman54@...> wrote:

              > At my bedside I have a Degen 1103 radio, actually a really nice
              little
              > radio that has MW and SW bands. You can actually 'fool' the radio
              into
              > starting at 0 khz and working up in frequency using an easy software
              > 'hack' but the lower khz segments below MW seem to have some
              > 'overload' from local stations if using either a long wire or
              anything
              > other than the internal ferrite antenna.
              >
              > The neat thing about the radio is that IF you plug in an external
              > antenna, both the AM ferrite antenna and the telescoping SW antenna
              > are disconnected in favor of the external. Sooo, I decided to build
              > little loop antenna and see if it made a difference.
              >> bill
              > KC9CS

            • Bill
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 1 8:49 PM
                gmcjet pilot,
                Here's a bit from over on the Kaito 1103 group (still applies to the
                Degen 1103: QUOTE: Re: Question About 1103 (message number 337)

                I've had the 1103 and the 1102 for several years - I recall that there
                was at one time, early in this group and "programmable" mode that
                changed that external antenna input so that as an example if you
                plugged an external antenna in while the radio was in the AM mode, it
                would disconnect the internal antenna and function off that external
                hookup.

                Mine operates that way and it is very evident when tuning in DX AM
                stations. While I did that mod I also did the program mod that
                allowed for using those frequencies just above the normal AM band,
                because I was interested in the listening to 160 meters in SSB.

                Don /Unquote

                Having said that, HERE is the programming 'hack' I mentioned that
                allows tuning below 530khz and above 1700khz AND bypasses the AM
                ferrite antenna for the external antennna. This information is from
                http://www.rosestone.me.uk/Degen/VLF.txt :

                Quote: It is possible to tune the 1103 receivers below 100kHz, and to
                disconnect the internal ferrite rod antenna on MW + LW, by using
                this simple procedure with the SCAN function.

                Normally, a 'scan' will remain within the selected band, with
                the tuning scale showing progress through the band. If you start
                a scan from outside a band, the scan will become 'trapped' within
                the next band that is reached. However, starting between 1 & 9kHz
                above any band upper edge and scanning down, will bypass the 'band'
                system, and will not switch to the ferrite rod in the range 1710 -
                100kHz. The tuning will also continue below 100kHz.

                So, select 1711 by direct entry:
                [1] [7] [1] [1] [band+/AM]
                and scan down: hold [BAND-] for 2 seconds.
                As soon as the frequency is below 1710kHz you can stop the scan and
                use the rotary control, or you can let the scan continue below 100kHz.
                The antenna is now switched for the telescopic or external antenna.
                I suggest you tune it down to zero and store this in preset 0, or
                store 99kHz in preset 99. Also store any frequencies for which you
                wish to use the external antenna input. You can store any frequency
                with the [SSB] mode 'on' for CW reception.
                Once you tune above 1710 again, the system will revert to the normal
                tuning range with the ferrite rod for MW + LW. (my note: this is NOT
                true IF you start the radio using the preset memory channel and tune
                with the thumbwheel. IF you punch in a direct entry frequency it
                reverts back to the ferrite rod however. If I start in memory 99
                channel and start tuning with the jogwheel tuning (thumbwheel) I can
                tune ALL the way to 30Mhz non-stop.)
                There has been a suggestion that you must start the scan at 21951kHz
                because that was the designer's employee number, but that story is
                apocryphal!
                There is another procedure at http://mods.radioscanner.ru/degen/mod29/
                for tuning above 30MHz (AM), possibly up to 35 - 37MHz depending on
                hardware alignment. UNQUOTE.

                So, it IS possible to use the Degen/Kaito 1103's with a loop antenna
                for LW and MW modes. With a simple software hack performed once and
                stored, you can tune below or above the 'listed or advertised' ranges
                of the radio. By the way, there is a spreadsheet out there that shows
                all 22 (10 hidden) bands the 1103 radio will cover. I also have the
                Degen 1102, the hack worked on very early models, and the software was
                apparently changed. But the 1103's definitely will use this hack.
                Both are remarkable radios.
                Regards,
                Bill
                KC9CS

                --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, "gmcjetpilot" <gmcjetpilot@...>
                wrote:

                > Bill I double checked and I was right, the Antenna plug is for SW
                > (and FM) only on the Degan 1103, however you can boost the internal
                > MW loop stick by a repeater or proximity loop boost.
                >
                > I have tired it with the Tecsun AN-200 and Terk AM advantage (simular
                > 9" loops). It works well. However the stock loop stick with out help
                > is pretty amazing.
                >
                > The Degen DE31 or similar portable amplified loop has a loop stick
                > booster. It works pretty well with the DE 1103. I found the loop
                > stick to be on the back near the base of the telescoping antenna.
                >
                > When I use the loop stick booster of the Degen DE31 portable antenna
                > (or similar), I fold the telescopic antenna up and lay the booster in
                > that little recess near the base of the telescopic antenna.
                >
                > What I found is the the existing loop stick does pretty well on its
                > own on MW. Of all the portable radios the DE 1103 gets the least
                > benefit of an external LOOP booster. The DE 1103 with built in
                > antennas is a great performer with out help. The design is pretty
                > solid as is. I have compared it in stock form to other radios with an
                > external loop and the DE 1103 holds it own. Cheers
                >

                > --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, "Bill" <harpman54@> wrote:
                > >
                > > At my bedside I have a Degen 1103 radio, actually a really nice
                > little
                > > radio that has MW and SW bands. You can actually 'fool' the radio
                > into
                > > starting at 0 khz and working up in frequency using an easy software
                > > 'hack' but the lower khz segments below MW seem to have some
                > > 'overload' from local stations if using either a long wire or
                > anything
                > > other than the internal ferrite antenna.
                > >
                > > The neat thing about the radio is that IF you plug in an external
                > > antenna, both the AM ferrite antenna and the telescoping SW antenna
                > > are disconnected in favor of the external. Sooo, I decided to build
                > > little loop antenna and see if it made a difference.
                > >> bill
                > > KC9CS

              • gmcjetpilot
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 2 12:00 PM
                  Bill, I tried it and it worked! It did allow external antenna
                  connection on MW, awesome. Thanks. For $80 the Kaito/Degen 1103 is an
                  amazing deal, thanks George

                  > So, select 1711 by direct entry:
                  > [1] [7] [1] [1] [band+/AM]
                  > and scan down: hold [BAND-] for 2 seconds.
                  > As soon as the frequency is below 1710kHz you can stop the scan and
                  > use the rotary control, or you can let the scan continue below
                  > 100kHz. The antenna is now switched for the telescopic or external
                  > antenna.
                  > > > KC9CS
                • airchecklover
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 2 5:56 PM
                    Hey Bill - SOunds like you are having fun. I've had great results w/ a
                    multi-turn loop on BCB w/ the 1103. Even barefoot it is an amazing
                    performer. BTW, it still throws me for a 'loop' (sorry:) to see a 9
                    callsign from Florida.

                    -Mark (former WB9AQI - licensed in the 60s-70s)

                    -=============================

                  • Bill
                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 5 4:47 PM
                      Hey George,
                      I'm glad you got it to work. Sharing these ideas is what this forum is
                      all about. I learned a lot coming here, it's nice to be able to
                      reciprocate. And you're right, it just makes that radio all the more
                      versatile. Being able to connect an external antenna to the MW and LW
                      frequencies brings a LOT of new listening available.

                      bill

                      wrote:

                      > Bill, I tried it and it worked! It did allow external antenna
                      > connection on MW, awesome. Thanks. For $80 the Kaito/Degen 1103 is an
                      > amazing deal, thanks George
                      >

                      > > So, select 1711 by direct entry:
                      > > [1] [7] [1] [1] [band+/AM]
                      > > and scan down: hold [BAND-] for 2 seconds.
                      > > As soon as the frequency is below 1710kHz you can stop the scan and
                      > > use the rotary control, or you can let the scan continue below
                      > > 100kHz. The antenna is now switched for the telescopic or external
                      > > antenna.

                    • Bill
                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 5 4:51 PM
                        Vintage? I don't know other than to tell you that I've had it about 1
                        year. Couldn't find a serial number on it, it may be inside the
                        battery compartment but I didnt' want to remove the batteries and then
                        have to reset the clock and such, worried it'd remove my frequency
                        memories.

                        bill