New to the group, Loop project in progress.

  • Philip Atchley
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 30, 2005
      Hi,

      I'm new to this list, but not to radio, LF or even loop antennas, having made
      a few tuned Boxloops, etc in my time (usually for LF work). The largest was a
      pair of 6 foot diameter crossed loops for the 200-500KC frequency range. It
      worked, but my miniscule yard around this mobile home required that it be
      placed over the underground power and TV cables that run across my back yard.
      NOT a good thing 8^( My primary radio passion is chasing NDB's (Non
      Directional Beacons for the uninitiated).

      I'd started to collect the parts to build a rotatable Ferrite Loop antenna for
      200-530KC, using a bundle of ferrite rods. I'd managed to collect 5 rods from
      various sources, but the budget is VERY restricted and precludes buying much
      of anything for the project. I felt that without at least a dozen or so rods
      the project wouldn't be worthwhile (for the level of LF DXing that I do).

      Anyway, I have a new project underway, based on the design at the following
      URL. It uses the venerable Burhans Pre-amp, and surprisingly enough, all the
      Pre-amp parts are still available from Mouser for a few dollars.
      http://www.imagenisp.ca/jsm/Burhans.html

      Before continuing on with the Ferrite loopstick idea, I'm going to build a
      slightly smaller version of this one and see how it works. My total cost
      should be in the area of about 10.00-15.00 or less, including the parts from
      Mouser, a case etc. At least for the prototype. In the "first" version I'll
      be using a 2 turn loop, 42" in diameter (about 22 Feet of coax). The even
      number of turns will require that the split in the shield be at the bottom
      instead of the top of the loop, but shouldn't make any difference
      electrically.

      I have a nice 22 foot length of RG-8X (the mini-8 coax). Probably not as good
      as using hardline, and it will require support, but I have it on hand, and
      it'll at least let me try the circuit out performance wise. This RG-8X coax
      is quite well shielded, a full aluminum shield covered with a stranded copper
      shield. If it works out well, I'll get a longer piece of coax and make
      perhaps a 4.5-5 foot diameter loop with more turns (probably the MAXIMUM loop
      size I could use here). I already have enough suitable PVC pipe, I just need
      an "X" piece for the center. Mouser still lists all the transformers, chokes
      etc for the pre-amp, AND even the J310 FET at 41 cents each. I'll probably
      order a number of those as I never have enough of them!

      There is one "extra", unused BNC connector on the back of my homebrewed
      200KC-30MC combination tunable pre-amp/4 channel multi-coupler. So I'll
      probably build the DC insertion circuit into that box and select the Loop
      antenna by a switch on the pre-amp. That way, unlike having it connected to
      the 6 position MAIN antenna switch, I won't be able to accidentally "transmit"
      into it 8^(

      Now, if I can just get an old Alliance U110 rotator from the shop where I
      work, I'll be all set.

      ANY COMMENTS, SUGGESTIONS OR IDEAS, PRO or CON, ON THE ABOVE PROJECT IS MORE
      THAN WELCOME HERE.

      LASTLY, let me put a shameless plug for "The "Beaconeer's Lair" (my Website
      below) where there is some information on NDB's, Homebrewing projects,
      tutorials on Varactors etc.

      73 de Phil, KO6BB
      991 Different NDB's heard to date.
      MY SWL QSL GALLERY: http://photobucket.com/albums/y123/KO6BB/
      MY WEB PAGE: http://www.geocities.com/ko6bb/
      Merced, Central California, 37.3N 120.48W CM97sh
    • jr_dakota
      Message 2 of 4 , May 2, 2005
        Sounds like you already have a plan ... I checked out your website,
        you have some very nice homebrew projects there using a couple of my
        favorite devices, the J310 and the 2N5109

        Welcome to the group Phil

        John

        --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, "Philip Atchley" <beaconeer@s...>

        Message 3 of 4 , May 2, 2005
          Thank you John,

          Yes, I spent quite a bit of time the past couple of days drawing schematics
          with the Windows "Paint" program and just uploaded a few things this evening.
          Sheesh, drawing those schematics is hard work ;-)

          To "kinda" keep this OT, today I brought home an Alliance U100 (or U110) rotor
          and a pair of control boxes from the TV shop where I work part time. This is
          for my "loop" project. Neither control box worked, but I repaired them both,
          tore the rotor unit apart and cleaned/lubed it and it's good to go when I get
          the loop up (Works like new and the gears are like new).

          SUGGESTION: IF anyone is needs a rotor for their loop projects, check with any
          TV shops in your area. With the advent of the satellites, people are taking
          their TV antennas down in droves. One of the BEST rotators you can get for
          modest size loops is the Alliance Tenna Rotor. The mast mount unit rarely
          fails. Most failures are in the control box, typically a bad motor capacitor
          or open thermal fuse in the transformer (which you can bypass). BUT, you
          SHOULD disassemble and clean/lube the mast mount unit as they are very old and
          the grease turns hard.

          THE BEACONEER'S LAIR: http://www.geocities.com/ko6bb/
          Merced, Central California, 37.3N 120.48W CM97sh

          > Sounds like you already have a plan ... I checked out your website,
          > you have some very nice homebrew projects there using a couple of my
          > favorite devices, the J310 and the 2N5109
          >
          > Welcome to the group Phil
          >
          > John
          >

          > --- In loopantennas@yahoogroups.com, "Philip Atchley" <beaconeer@s...>
          > wrote:
          >> Hi,
          >>
          >> I'm new to this list, but not to radio, LF or even loop antennas,
          > having made
          >> a few tuned Boxloops, etc in my time (usually for LF work). The
          > largest was a
          >> pair of 6 foot diameter crossed loops for the 200-500KC frequency
          > range. It
          >> worked, but my miniscule yard around this mobile home required that
          > it be
          >> placed over the underground power and TV cables that run across my
          > back yard.
          >> NOT a good thing 8^( My primary radio passion is chasing NDB's (Non
          >> Directional Beacons for the uninitiated).

          > For uploading images, I prefer the Files section since Photos only allows
          > everyone (except the uploader and moderators) to see a max of 300x400.
          >
          > Put them in the appropriate folder, or create one.

          > Virus Database (VPS): 0518-1, 05/02/2005
          > Tested on: 5/3/2005 3:13:14 AM

        • Bruce Carter
          Message 4 of 4 , May 3, 2005
            Philip and group - there is an easier way to draw schematics. My
            company is now "soft releasing" a free schematic editor and Spice
            program:

            http://www.ti.com/tina-ti

            It should be able to draw all the schematics you want. If you want
            to simulate an FET circuit - it really wants an op amp somewhere on
            the page. Just add one somewhere and the FET circuit simulates.

            The official release will come soon with a splashy ad campaign
            touting it and our other free programs that do filters and gain /
            offset.

            <beaconeer@s...> wrote:
            > Thank you John,
            >
            > Yes, I spent quite a bit of time the past couple of days drawing
            schematics
            > with the Windows "Paint" program and just uploaded a few things
            this evening.
            > Sheesh, drawing those schematics is hard work ;-)
            >
            > To "kinda" keep this OT, today I brought home an Alliance U100 (or
            U110) rotor
            > and a pair of control boxes from the TV shop where I work part
            time. This is
            > for my "loop" project. Neither control box worked, but I repaired
            them both,
            > tore the rotor unit apart and cleaned/lubed it and it's good to go
            when I get
            > the loop up (Works like new and the gears are like new).
            >
            > SUGGESTION: IF anyone is needs a rotor for their loop projects,
            check with any
            > TV shops in your area. With the advent of the satellites, people
            are taking
            > their TV antennas down in droves. One of the BEST rotators you
            can get for
            > modest size loops is the Alliance Tenna Rotor. The mast mount
            unit rarely
            > fails. Most failures are in the control box, typically a bad
            motor capacitor
            > or open thermal fuse in the transformer (which you can bypass).
            BUT, you
            > SHOULD disassemble and clean/lube the mast mount unit as they are
            very old and
            > the grease turns hard.
            >
            > 73 de Phil, KO6BB
            > 991 Different NDB's heard to date.
            > SWL QSL GALLERY: http://photobucket.com/albums/y123/KO6BB/
            > THE BEACONEER'S LAIR: http://www.geocities.com/ko6bb/
            > Merced, Central California, 37.3N 120.48W CM97sh

            Service.